Home » Other » Community Hangout » I'm deficient!
I'm deficient! [message #329884] Thu, 26 June 2008 22:28 Go to next message
rleishman
It seems that I am deficient in some way. I just don't love calendars as much as the average person.

Anyone following this blog on the main site: http://www.orafaq.com/node/2029

Our main site has lots of interesting, informative, and ingenious blogs; they get a mild smattering of feedback on an irregular basis.

But this one is running hot. For my 2c, it doesn't do anything particularly ingenious, but people are popping in from far and wide to praise its wonder and genius.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not dis-ing the blog - its a nice demonstration of a row generator and pivot rolled into one. I just never imagined that there was such a high demand for that sort of thing.

Re: I'm deficient! [message #329888 is a reply to message #329884] Thu, 26 June 2008 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Yeah, especially considering it's an absolute cut & paste from Tom.
Re: I'm deficient! [message #329891 is a reply to message #329884] Fri, 27 June 2008 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
There are way too many of them (here and in blogoshere).
The other trend is to write/demonstrate in a grand scheme something that is already found / demonstrated in docs/metalink and popular
websites (For example, a case by case scenario or a bug).
Some so called "blogs" (and a few "forums" too) just wanted to attract traffic and make use of AdSense/related pay per click schemes.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 June 2008 00:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: I'm deficient! [message #330197 is a reply to message #329891] Fri, 27 June 2008 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehegagoka
just want to ask, even if its for "blog money", dont they have any right to do that? is it illegal to post those if your not an oracle genius or if you're no tom kite look-alike?
Re: I'm deficient! [message #330223 is a reply to message #330197] Sat, 28 June 2008 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Illegal? Nothing is illegal on Internet (regarding international law that does not exist).
But unfair, surely when you steal others' work and post it as yours.
The least you can do is to mention the origin of what you post on your blog/site. You should also ask the author when possible (and this is the case for T. Kyte).

Regards
Michel
Re: I'm deficient! [message #330245 is a reply to message #330197] Sat, 28 June 2008 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Well, that would be huge topic to discuss about cyberlaw and intellectual property.
Michel summarized it as
Quote:
But unfair, surely when you steal others' work and post it as yours

>> is it illegal to post those if your not an oracle genius
My gripe is not against Oracle newbies or wannabe gurus.
It is only about people who show no respect for others work, call themselves
as experts and write worthless garbage.
I can mention a few dozen blogs which contain articles which are just a little-more-than-cut-copy-paste-from-docs/metalink
and god knows from where else.
These folks take a case (that is already demonstrated in docs/metalink) like how-to-duplicate-using-RMAN,
demonstrate in their 'lab' and post their sessions. Hardly any words or thoughts, topics,
talking about concepts or atleast some conspiracy theories that are open for discussion and be informative.
Just insipid demonstrations.
Is it legal? Yes.
Is it worth spending my time over those. No thanks. I can read the same in docs.

[Edit MC: Just added a missing bracket in quote tag]

[Updated on: Sat, 28 June 2008 09:30] by Moderator

Re: I'm deficient! [message #330263 is a reply to message #330245] Sat, 28 June 2008 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehegagoka
thanks for the replies...

hmmmm does the copy/paste of "codes" count on "plagiarism" or something like that? if you didn't post the source.

one thing though, for example, for a particular topic, there would be many blogs/sites that has an article for it, but they have different ways of explaining it, and im not sure who's first to post it =) although i think the oracle documentation will always be first =)
Re: I'm deficient! [message #330267 is a reply to message #330263] Sat, 28 June 2008 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> hmmmm does the copy/paste of "codes" count on "plagiarism"
Ofcourse yes.
Well, some code are generic. There are only a few certain
methods that one can count all the records of a table.
A helloWorld.java program is ubiquitous.

>>but they have different ways of explaining it, and im not sure who's first to post it =)
May be i did not express my point clear enough.
I am not talking about folks who are trying to "explain" something
or about who is "first" to post it.
Rather I always appreciate the time and effort they put on posting
something useful.
I am talking about folks who are just "explaining" again (stealing
the content from another published work), with
the same set of examples ( Ofcouse with changed values,naming convention) and without any useful prose/comments that may
add any more value.
Re: I'm deficient! [message #330271 is a reply to message #330267] Sat, 28 June 2008 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehegagoka
Quote:

I am talking about folks who are just "explaining" again (stealing
the content from another published work), with
the same set of examples ( Ofcouse with changed values,naming convention) and without any useful prose/comments that may
add any more value.

got it =) yeah i think i also saw some of this, that i also saw in asktom.oracle.com, and the mere change was the variable "l_whatever..." to "v_whatever...". i think thru these, the passion for programming had a mixture of longing for fame/popularity, ads, etc.
Re: I'm deficient! [message #330308 is a reply to message #330271] Sun, 29 June 2008 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Here are 2 threads on the subject.

a message to REDA: Get a life!

And, above all, Spot the Difference about the story of a guy that created a, no at least 2, sites stealing others' work, now closed.
Now, he still has 2 blogs that are clear examples of what Raj said.

Regards
Michel
Re: I'm deficient! [message #330320 is a reply to message #330308] Sun, 29 June 2008 08:07 Go to previous message
ehegagoka
hi, thanks michel for the links!!

are most of the moderators here also are moderator's in dba-village? cool...

[Updated on: Sun, 29 June 2008 08:16]

Previous Topic: Senior's first/early post
Next Topic: A Very Interesting query I came across today
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:30:32 CDT 2024