Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Physical Standby Database problems (Oracle 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Solaris SunOS 5.10)
Physical Standby Database problems [message #336035] Thu, 24 July 2008 09:51 Go to next message
pyrator
Product Version OS etc
Oracle 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Solaris SunOS 5.10

I am still a comparative newcomer at this so bear with me.

Having read Oracle's own manuals, as well as following articles such as Sean Hull's 'Manual Standby Database under Oracle Standard Edition' http://www.dbasupport.com/oracle/ora10g/manual_standby.shtml - which seems to have a few errors in BTW - as well as other forums, I am still getting an error as below after the

SQL> recover standby database;
AUTO

ORA-01547: warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS would get error below
ORA-01194: file 1 needs more recovery to be consistent
ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u02/oradata/archive/backup/standby/system01.dbf'

Whilst many posts in many forums seem to have a go at addressing this problem, none as far as I can see have satifactorily answered the issue for a Standard install of Oracle, therefore a Non managed standby database. Either that or no one has responded to say that their issue has been fixed.
My pfile on the standby database includes the following lines
db_file_name_convert = '/u02/oradata/database/' , '/u02/oradata/archive/backup/standby/' , 
'/u01/app/oracle/oradata/oracle/' , '/u02/oradata/archive/backup/standby/'
log_file_name_convert = '/u02/oradata/logs/' , '/u02/oradata/archive/backup/standby/logs/'
control_files = ('/u02/oradata/archive/backup/standby/standby.ctl')

Both databases show

SQL> select max(sequence#) from v$log_history;

MAX(SEQUENCE#)
--------------

Re: Physical Standby Database problems [message #336040 is a reply to message #336035] Thu, 24 July 2008 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
One thing I have found to be be a good procedure along these lines,
is to ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE both before & immediately after doing the hot backup.
You then need to copy all the archived redo logfiles which got generated during the hot backup to the standby.
Ideally, then the RECOVER will find them & apply them making everything consistent so the DB will open.

Hope This Helps.
Re: Physical Standby Database problems [message #336262 is a reply to message #336040] Fri, 25 July 2008 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pyrator
Thanks very much that sorted it.
Re: Physical Standby Database problems [message #336275 is a reply to message #336035] Fri, 25 July 2008 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Do you understand why this was necessary & sufficient to produce a consistent database?
Re: Physical Standby Database problems [message #336377 is a reply to message #336275] Sat, 26 July 2008 01:15 Go to previous message
pyrator
If I understand it correctly, switching the logfile ensures that all redo information is archived before and after hot backup of the dbf files.
Once the redo and database files have been copied to their new location and the standby database mounted, recovery will see archived redo up to date and therefore consistent with the database files, i.e. all changes have been applied.
Previous Topic: archived log files not applied to standby
Next Topic: to start and stop a standby database on server startup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:53:59 CDT 2024