Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Oracle RAC (2-nodes) - Managment Connect w/TOAD (Oracle 10g)
Oracle RAC (2-nodes) - Managment Connect w/TOAD [message #340124] Mon, 11 August 2008 09:35 Go to next message
deepmachine
Hi to all the gurus out there.

I am having an issue of connecting to RAC management server through TOAD.

Details:
- I have host names properly setup in the etc/hosts file on Windows machine, and can successfully ping those names i.e. "prod" and "prod-mgmt". Where, prod is node1 of the RAC and prod-mgmt is the management console. FYI, these are SUN hosts.

On my TNSNAMES.ORA file, while using TOAD, when I try to connect through the "prod.mgmt", it gives me ORA-12541:no listener error, but connects succesfully if connected through "prod".

Upon querying the Listener status, I get the following:
-------------------------------------------------------
Service "prod" has 2 instance(s).
Instance "prod1", status READY, has 2 handler(s) for this service...
Instance "prod2", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

I'd appreciate if someone could answer these questions:
-------------------------------------------------------
1- What is the exact purpose of using management console on RAC instead of using either NODE1 or NODE2?

2- Why is TOAD not capable of connecting to the management console whereas I can easily connect to it while using an SSH client?

3- On my TNSNAMES.ORA file, while using management console, do I still need to provide TWO host addresses? example:

PROD =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = prod1)(PORT = 1521))
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = prod2)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = prod)
)
)

4- When do I need to use an additional line of INSTANCE_NAME?

5- What's the difference between using either SERVICE_NAME or INSTANCE_NAME?

6- Where does the listener retrieve the information from upon 'lstnrctl status' query? TNSNAMES.ORA file?

7- In the listener status results, what does handler mean? Why there are two handlers for first instance, and one handler for second instance? Is management console accounted as part of instance 1? Where is the management console's information saved in regards to the listener?

Once again, thank you very much for reading the whole post. Please do no ignore the necessary details in your answer.

Thanks,
Pinky
Re: Oracle RAC (2-nodes) - Managment Connect w/TOAD [message #340228 is a reply to message #340124] Tue, 12 August 2008 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Visit: http://tahiti.oracle.com

Choose Proper Oracle Version then select 'RAC' guide and read it.
you will get all answer, if after then any doubt post your question here.

Re: Oracle RAC (2-nodes) - Managment Connect w/TOAD [message #340879 is a reply to message #340228] Thu, 14 August 2008 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deepmachine
Thanks,
But there is no direct link to RAC, I am not sure which one are you talking about.

In my case, my version is 10.2...

So...?

Thanks again for looking into it..
Re: Oracle RAC (2-nodes) - Managment Connect w/TOAD [message #341076 is a reply to message #340879] Sat, 16 August 2008 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Go to the below link and check below mentioned subject

http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/portal.portal_db?selected=3#index-ORA

Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Administration and Deployment Guide HTML PDF
Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guide for AIX Based Systems HTML PDF
Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guide for hp Tru64 UNIX HTML PDF
Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guide for HP-UX HTML PDF
Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guide for Linux HTML PDF
Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guide for Microsoft Windows HTML PDF
Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guide for Solaris Operating System

Re: Oracle RAC (2-nodes) - Managment Connect w/TOAD [message #341077 is a reply to message #340879] Sat, 16 August 2008 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Taj

Go to the below link and check below mentioned subject

http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/portal.portal_db?selected=3#index-ORA

Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Administration and Deployment Guide HTML PDF
Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guide for AIX Based Systems HTML PDF
Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guide for hp Tru64 UNIX HTML PDF
Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guide for HP-UX HTML PDF
Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guide for Linux HTML PDF
Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guide for Microsoft Windows HTML PDF
Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guide for Solaris Operating System

Re: Oracle RAC (2-nodes) - Managment Connect w/TOAD [message #345445 is a reply to message #341077] Wed, 03 September 2008 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deepmachine
Thanks for the links Mohammad but there is no information about Management Interface in these documentations.

Could you please tell me what that is?

Thanks.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 September 2008 11:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle RAC (2-nodes) - Managment Connect w/TOAD [message #348295 is a reply to message #340124] Tue, 16 September 2008 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rooneyd
Hi,

Its a bit tricky to work out what you mean by management console, from a sys admin perspective this is just a console connected to a server for remote administration. A management interface is usually an interface on the machine configured in a vlan for internal operations like administration, monitoring and maybe backup if indeed that isn't also on a separate vlan.

For RAC you need three ip addresses for each machine. The first a public (or private within your own network) configured on a real interface, a public that is used to create a virtual interface and a private ip address for the interconnect between the cluster machines. I am guessing by management that you mean the first one.

You can use either of the first two to connect to the database if they are configured in your tnsnames correctly.
This is where services come in, an instance has one name and that name is unique to the instance within the cluster, you can add a service name and that service can run on one or more instances within the cluster or you can configure it to failover to another node in the event of a problem on the machine.
That is the reason for the dual entry in the tnsnames client, on top of that you can set it to load balance or failover from the client side (although their is no point if the service is not running on the second node).

Another advantage of services is you can split off what kind of connections are going to which node i.e all application connections to node 1 & 2 and batches running only on node 3.
Re: Oracle RAC (2-nodes) - Managment Connect w/TOAD [message #348411 is a reply to message #348295] Tue, 16 September 2008 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deepmachine
Thanks for your input.

Let me rephrase it in different words.

Other than Public, VIP, and Private interfaces we have added another interface just for the management purposes. It was added before I joined this organization.

What are the advanatages that an organization can have by adding a managment interface? Also, what rest of teh world is missing by NOT having the management itnerface?

Thanks.
Re: Oracle RAC (2-nodes) - Managment Connect w/TOAD [message #348652 is a reply to message #340124] Wed, 17 September 2008 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rooneyd
A management interface is just that, it gives you more options when supporting the server. Will probably sit on a separate vlan which only support staff have access to. If you want to limit the access to the servers completely you can bring down other interfaces whilst still having remote access for multiple people. If you don't want your backup to interfere with application traffic it can be done over the management interface as can monitoring.
As for using it to connect to the database, thats entirely up to you, it will just need to be configured in whatever service you use to connect to the database.

Its quite a common practice, just adds more options for sysadmins for administration and spreading workload to avoid bottlenecks.
Re: Oracle RAC (2-nodes) - Managment Connect w/TOAD [message #348741 is a reply to message #348652] Wed, 17 September 2008 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deepmachine
Thank you very much for your input.

So, does that mean my listener should be listening on that management interface as well? If yes, would following be the right way of doing it.

1- Add management interface address in listener.ora file of node-1, and restart the listener by lsnrctl stop followed by a lsnrctl start

2- Do the same on node-2

I suspect that doing so would only allow me to connect through this newly added interface as well. I am not sure about how to set it up for backup and monitoring?

Could you elaborate a little more on this, or may be provide a documentation link to study from?

Thanks very much.
Pinky
Re: Oracle RAC (2-nodes) - Managment Connect w/TOAD [message #348879 is a reply to message #340124] Thu, 18 September 2008 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rooneyd
I think we are straying into sysadmin work a bit here.
Normally you have a primary ip address that is configured so you can connect to the particular instance and a virtual ip address on the same interface that you can connect to a service that can run on any instance in the cluster. Unless you are afraid that your activities will disturb your users from a network level then this should be enough as you can connect to a specific instance if needed.

Just to clarify this you have a server with 3 physical interfaces in use.

node1 x.x.20.7 (primary interface, configured in oracle network services for connections to instance 1)
node1-vip x.x.20.9 (virtual interface on the above physichal interface that is configured in oracle network services for connections to service x that can run on either machine)
node1-int 10.0.0.1 (interconnect between machines in cluster, uses a physical interface)
node1-mgt x.x.24.7 (management interface uses physical interface)

If you can use node1 to connect to instance 1 and node1-vip for the service on either machine then do you really need to configure another connection with whichever oracle network services you use to enable you to connect via the management interface, unless you think that the traffic you are generating will interfere on an interface level.

As far as backup and monitoring you would make sure the server that contains your backup or monitoring software has a connection with the same vlan and configure it to use the node1-mgt that would be configured in your dns.
Re: Oracle RAC (2-nodes) - Managment Connect w/TOAD [message #348979 is a reply to message #348879] Thu, 18 September 2008 08:11 Go to previous message
deepmachine
Good engouh.

Thanks very much!
Previous Topic: Oracle Client on Vista Home premium
Next Topic: d2k connect to oracle
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:12:45 CDT 2024