Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Oracle Client on Vista Home premium (Oracle XE)
Oracle Client on Vista Home premium [message #348700] Wed, 17 September 2008 12:29 Go to next message
polsol
Hi all,

I need to install Oracle Client on a laptop running Vista Home Premium.
This is connected via a router to an old PC on which I have installed Oracle XE (10g).
I have tried running the XEClient on my Vista Laptop but get an error regarding Micrsosft Server. The installation doesn't seem to proceed from that point (I get the home directory but with few subdirectories - and no Admin directory).
Trying to find the info on Oracle site but it is difficult to ascertain whether XE Client will run on Vista Home. From what I've picked up it looks like it doesn't.

Any comments?

I have also tried putting InstantClient (lite) in a directory on C: drive but I don't know where to put TNSNames.Ora for it to be 'located' - and also what path should be created in the systems environment (have tried "C:\OracleXE\Admin").

Have been trying to connect with SQLDeveloper but it can't locate the TNSNames file.

I can, however, connect using the 'direct' method.

Not sure how Oracle tries to find the TNSNames file - whether it requires a specific directory, a registry entry or what. No data on this I can find on the Oracle website.
Assume this is programmed in to OCI.DLL?

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, the reason I want to use TNSNames in the first place is that I am developing some 'add-ons' to a commercial program that runs on a server at work - and this uses TNSNames.
The other problem that arises is that our IT department seem to take joy in changing the server address from time to time so that it is easier to change the TNSNames file than recompile the programs I'm writing if I have to use the IP address in my components.
Re: Oracle Client on Vista Home premium [message #348724 is a reply to message #348700] Wed, 17 September 2008 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
For future reference: you can check whether certain Oracle product is certified with operating system you use by viewing the Oracle's Certification Matrices (OCM). As far as I can tell, no "Home" edition was ever certified with Oracle; Oracle databases run on Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions of Microsoft Windows Vista (according to the OCM.

As of TNSNAMES.ORA location, you could create the TNS_ADMIN environment variable which will point to a directory which contains this file. It can be any directory; for example:
C:\>set tns_admin
tns_admin=C:\0_Library
If that's the case, Oracle will *know* where to search for it.
Re: Oracle Client on Vista Home premium [message #348762 is a reply to message #348724] Wed, 17 September 2008 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
polsol
Thanks Littlefoot,

Looks like the 'home' Vistas are the problem.
Had previously used my old PC (which now runs XE database - but on XP Pro) for development.

Guess I have the choice to either upgrade Vista home to Ultimate ot wait for the next Windows release.

Will, however try the TNS-Admin route too just in case.
Re: Oracle Client on Vista Home premium [message #348771 is a reply to message #348724] Wed, 17 September 2008 23:04 Go to previous message
polsol
Thought I would reply back to the group on this.

Set the following system environmental variables for Instantclient Basic Lite on my laptop running Vista Home Premium:

ORACLE_HOME C:\OracleXE\Instantclient

TNS_ADMIN C:\OracleXE\InstantClient\Admin

The files in the \Instantclient directory are as downloaded from Oracle and unzipped into this directory (excluding the 'Admin' directory that I created and then added my TnsNames.ora)

So far have tested with SQLDeveloper and it works (finds TNSNames and connects OK) so assume my (Delphi) components will find it too with no problem. Smile

Thanks to Littlefoot

Previous Topic: TNS ***ERROR*** on an AIX pltform
Next Topic: Oracle RAC (2-nodes) - Managment Connect w/TOAD
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:54:36 CDT 2024