Home » Other » General » oracle xe license limitations?
oracle xe license limitations? [message #349011] Thu, 18 September 2008 09:54 Go to next message
stillee
Hi,

I am currently discussing with oracle about Oracle XE limitations.
I am aware of the normal limitations (cpu,db size,memory) but now they tell me you are not allowed to use the db for everything... they refer to a clause in a oracle db standard edition contract they call "hosting". apparently that clause may not be added to standard edition one, and they say xe may not be used for this at all. it is very unclear to me what they mean by "hosting".
can someone shed some light on what they might mean?

they refer to this part of the std edition contract:

You may not ;
• make the programs or materials resulting from the services available in any manner to any third party for use in the third party’s business operations (unless such access is expressly permitted for the specific program license or materials from the services you have acquired);

the request for "hosting" clause in a std edition contract is as they say free of extra charge as long as you register the application by filling in a document called "Proprietary_App_Hosting_Registration_Form.doc"

...very confusing this... i thought XE was markeded to be used as the mysql alternative...

../stillee

Re: oracle xe license limitations? [message #349035 is a reply to message #349011] Thu, 18 September 2008 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
The way I read it you CAN do :

Run a server with XE, for example do to a web shop for YOUR business.

You can not:

Run XE as a "hosting provider" where OTHER businesses rent services of the XE database to run THEIR web shop.

That business in the middle would be the "third party", where in the first case there is just you and your customer (2 parties)

But my legalese is not very good. ;-P
Re: oracle xe license limitations? [message #349043 is a reply to message #349011] Thu, 18 September 2008 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stillee
yes that might be one way of looking at it.
i found the xe popup license agreement
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/popup-license/xe-license.html
under the title "License Rights" there is a clause (a) allowing "internal data processing operations".
could that then be interperted as "you may not create a web application where your customer, another company for example, is granted access to information inside the oracle xe database"?
this would be quite a limitation...
my oracle sales rep mentioned that "hosting" had something to do whit if that 3rd party was able to manipulate data in the database. it seemed to be ok if they only were allowed to view the "internal" data...

any opinions?

Re: oracle xe license limitations? [message #349064 is a reply to message #349043] Thu, 18 September 2008 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
I don't understand. You are in a discussion with Oracle about licensing, you don't understand a part of what they tell you and you come here for an explanation?!
Why not ask THEM what they mean?
Re: oracle xe license limitations? [message #349076 is a reply to message #349064] Thu, 18 September 2008 16:05 Go to previous message
stillee
because i would like to know more oracle db users experiences in these matters. like are any of you using oracle xe in the way i described and its been okayed by oracle? it feels like its a gray area with no exact rules set.. what is ok in one country is not ok in another.. things like that.

also, more users might be interested since it seems oracle xe is not completely free to use for your web applications.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 September 2008 16:08]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: utility tool for oracle 11G
Next Topic: convert oracle frm into exe format
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 15 23:33:59 CDT 2024