Home » Other » Community Hangout » Did you hug your backup today?  () 1 Vote
Did you hug your backup today? [message #356361] Thu, 30 October 2008 08:57 Go to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator

Backup[ 14 votes ]
1. Backup? What is it? (i.e. no, I don't do backups) 0 / 0%
2. Daily 6 / 43%
3. Weekly 3 / 21%
4. Montly 2 / 14%
5. Now and then (i.e. occasionally) 0 / 0%
6. Very, very, VERY rarely (once a year, for example) 0 / 0%
7. Other (explain!) 3 / 21%

There was this discussion earlier today (no answer yet, thought) which made me think of it.

Really, do you backup your data regularly? DBAs should backup their databases; do developers backup their procedures, forms, reports, etc.?

So, here's a poll; feel free to vote and - if you wish - explain what you do and how you do it in subsequent replies.
Re: Did you hug your backup today? [message #356426 is a reply to message #356361] Thu, 30 October 2008 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
My vote goes to "other"; here's why.

Once upon a time, when our database and applications were located on Digital Alpha server in our system room, it was done every night (during non-working hours) and consisted of physical backup (OpenVMS's backup utility) which was saved to DLT tapes and database export, saved to DDS tapes. We have had 20 pairs of tapes so, basically, we could have restored the whole last month.

Today, database is relocated to the headquarters office so other people are responsible for backups. Most of our applications have also moved to web and we don't control them either. However, a few applications still exist on Alpha server (written in Forms 3.0 and Report Writer 1.1), but they do not change at all (or if they do , it is extremely rarely). Therefore, we have decided to perform a weekly backup.

As of "my own" data, I'd choose "occasionally". A complete backup is done once in 2 months (saved to a DVD). Frequently accessed data have a backup copy created by Microsoft's "SyncToy" twice a week (stored on a network drive); not a "real" backup, actually, but works fine (so far).

Did I ever use any of backup copies?

Certainly, but not that often as I have expected.

Now and then I have had to restore an accidentally deleted form or a report. A lot more often (but still rarely) I have restored table's data from an export file.

I have never restored any of Oracle's files (data, control, redo log) - none of Digital's disks had ever crashed (not entirely true - one of them did, but it was a system disk so we have only lost VMS for a day). Later we have used disk mirroring, but nothing happened since.

How about my data? No problems so far; hard disks were / are working just fine. Once the motherboard malfunctioned, but it didn't result in data loss.
Re: Did you hug your backup today? [message #356549 is a reply to message #356426] Fri, 31 October 2008 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Other:
Yes, of course the code is backed up, and on a daily basis that is, but that is done by a back up of the SOURCE VERSION CONTROL system, not by a backup of individual (versions of) sources of course!
In my opinion, a project without a proper SVC-system is crap. Full stop.

Oh, and yes, I do backup my laptop almost daily. Huzzah for OSX TimeMachine!

[Updated on: Fri, 31 October 2008 02:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Did you hug your backup today? [message #495877 is a reply to message #356549] Wed, 23 February 2011 00:04 Go to previous message
itralarcon

I created a batch file that does the daily backup with the Windows Task Scheduler, I only reviewed at the end of the day that the backups have been made...
Previous Topic: Windows 7 Profile Question
Next Topic: Middle Ages Tech Support et al.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:48:20 CDT 2024