Home » Other » General » PLease give me answer of following questions? (Oracle 9i)
PLease give me answer of following questions? [message #359637] Mon, 17 November 2008 14:56 Go to next message
shptlucky
I am begginer

1) As oracle is a database, but the data which we write or create must be store somewhere in computer? or retrieve from that place which must be secendory storage, my question is that is that data stored in some file??

2) What's .ORA file

3) Whatz host string?

Re: PLease give me answer of following questions? [message #359670 is a reply to message #359637] Mon, 17 November 2008 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Only one answer: start to read the documentation you are too far from the beginning to get any useful answer for you.

Documentation is at http://tahiti.oracle.com
Start with Database Concepts.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Mon, 17 November 2008 23:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: PLease give me answer of following questions? [message #359882 is a reply to message #359637] Tue, 18 November 2008 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shptlucky
Man my Internet speed is not so much to download the files online.....
just give me answers of above general
Re: PLease give me answer of following questions? [message #359883 is a reply to message #359882] Tue, 18 November 2008 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
You don't need to download them. They are available as online HTML documents.
Re: PLease give me answer of following questions? [message #359997 is a reply to message #359882] Wed, 19 November 2008 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
shptlucky wrote on Tue, 18 November 2008 14:47
Man my Internet speed is not so much to download the files online.....
just give me answers of above general

A question in return:
Why do you want to know? Especially for the first two questions.
If you are such a beginner, there is no need to get stressed over these low-level issues; just let the database do its work and focus on understanding the higher levels.
Re: PLease give me answer of following questions? [message #360139 is a reply to message #359997] Wed, 19 November 2008 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shptlucky
I want to know what database works and how it works...If i nobuddy can answer my questions simply delete the post. Please dont give me discouraging replies... THanks
I want to learn ABC first then i will learn to make sentences.
Re: PLease give me answer of following questions? [message #360142 is a reply to message #360139] Wed, 19 November 2008 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I want to know what database works and how it works...

Michel Cadot wrote on Tue, 18 November 2008 06:34
Documentation is at http://tahiti.oracle.com
Start with Database Concepts.

Regards
Michel

Re: PLease give me answer of following questions? [message #360148 is a reply to message #360139] Wed, 19 November 2008 15:57 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
shptlucky
I want to learn ABC first ...

Unfortunately, you don't want to hear what people keep saying to you. Concepts book is ABC. It will take some time to read it, but it will also answer many of your questions.

You have asked a few of them; here's a short answer:
  1. Yes, you are right. Information stored in a database really have to be somewhere on the computer. How much do you know about computers? I guess we can agree that database is not stored in a keyboard, mouse pointing device, power supply or IDE hard disk cable. So, which part(s) of a computer are designed to store data?

Hard disk is by far the most usual storage device. Logically, on a reasonably high level, there are directories there which contain data files which contain data. Does this answer your first question?
  2. .ORA file is a file whose extension is ".ORA". Did you, actually, search for them? Can you name a few? I performed search while typing this message and found 37 .ORA files before I stopped it.

As there are, obviously, quite a lot .ORA files on a computer that runs an Oracle database, which one of them are you particularly interested in?
  3. Host string is piece of information which is required while connecting to an Oracle database. Credentials necessary to successfully do that are username, password and a host string. As far as the first two are self explanatory, the third one - host string - is in a close connection with one of the .ORA files from the previous question: a TNSNAMES.ORA file. It represents a database alias, a name of an Oracle instance you are connecting to. For example:
    KC2110 =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = kc2110)(PORT = 1521))
        (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = kcora7))
      )

"kc2110" is a host string, and - while connecting to Oracle using SQL*Plus (for example), you'd do that as
    > sqlplus scott/tiger@kc2110

Now that you've heard one interpretation of the "ABC", you could really start reading the Concepts book.
Previous Topic: VIEWS and materialized views
Next Topic: Puzzle n°11 - Dynamic Reshuffling Of A Given String in SQL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:08:52 CDT 2024