Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Net8 connection has slowed since last week
Net8 connection has slowed since last week [message #367589] Wed, 13 January 1999 00:17 Go to next message
Don Cavin
Running 8.0.5 on Windows NT SERVER configured as a primary domain controller and print server with 160 MEG memory and plenty of disk. Last week installed several clients and changed their TNSNAMES.ORA to reflect our server and port 1526 on TCP/IP. Linking to Oracle tables from MS ACCESS 97 front-end so set up system DSN that is configured on each machine. Had 3 clients last week that connected fast from SQL PLUS 8.0 or ODBC through Access. Now, whether Windows 95 Client or 4.0 Workstation, takes three or four minutes to connect, even directly into SQL*PLUS. Do I need to set up a different file DSN? We are using Oracle 8.0.5 driver and all Microsoft drivers, no INTERSOLV. Any suggestions of how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated. I know how to trace but don't know what to look for. Thanks, Don
Sorry! SQL*Plus perf. would make DSN irrelevant [message #367590 is a reply to message #367589] Wed, 13 January 1999 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don Cavin
The problem has to be NET8 and something with the TNSListener. I read something on ORAFAQ about dead database connections. IF these are like rogue UNIX processes that stay open in the background, this would sure explain the worsening performance. Once again, any ideas would be helpful. Don
Re: Net8 connection has slowed since last week [message #367604 is a reply to message #367589] Sat, 13 February 1999 08:47 Go to previous message
Ales
I think you should first look at your server real memory (maybe paging is slowing down connect time!?), then with performane monitor try to determine bottleneck on your PDC (also check Control Panel--> Network --> Services --> Server --> Properties --> Maximize trhroughput for network applications must be selected).
bye,
Ales
Previous Topic: ODBC connection read-only
Next Topic: Net8: connect time
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:24:16 CDT 2024