Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » case sensetive in oracle increasing time for
case sensetive in oracle increasing time for [message #367883] Sat, 25 November 2000 06:33
Awadhesh Kumar
Dear sir,..

I am new to Oracle. I Have a Problem Related with the Case Sensitive Nature of Oracle 8i.

I Had an Application in VB and MS-Access as Back-End. We Were Facing Problem with the MS-Access Database as it has become so Large (about 950 MB). Now we have transferred MS-Access Database to Oracle-8i. But This created a problem for Us...I am describing my problem...

We Have A Company Table which Contains Fields Like "CompanyName", "ContactPerson", "Address", "City", "State", "Pin", "Country", "Phone", "Fax" etc....
This table has UNIQUE key indexed on "CompanyName" Field. But It Allows Two Companies to be entered with the same Name (With Different case).
For Example... I Have Already a Record With CompanyName = "ABC Overseas". Now When I am entering another Record with the Name "abc overseas". Oracle Allows to do that...But this doesn't happen with MS-Access or SQL (They Treat these two companies same). I just want to know that how to make oracle to Treat these two companies as SAME. I don't want these two companies to be entered.

I Can use query "select Companyname from company where UPPER(companyname) = 'UPPER("abc overseas")' to check whether a company already exist with this Name... But This makes Application Too slow as there are about 50,000 Records in the table and application is being used by so many users.

So Please suggest me the way to tackle this problem. Is there any Setting in Oracle by which Oracle will not be Case Sensitive.

Ur Any help or support can make my work very easy...

Please Suggest me ASAP...

Thanks and Regards

-Awadhesh Kumar
Previous Topic: TNSNAMES only one ...
Next Topic: Oracle Manual syntax
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:18:45 CDT 2024