Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » PO8 - SVRMGR : connecting so I can create a new DB
PO8 - SVRMGR : connecting so I can create a new DB [message #367983] Fri, 27 August 1999 07:56
michelle
I'm running Personal Oracle 8 on Win95 (trial version - so it didn't come with Enterprise Manager or the like.)

I want to create a new database via SVRMGR. CONNECTing INTERNAL works fine if I want to administer the existing starter database, but as soon as I change the value of ORACLE_SID in the Windows Registry to the name of the new database I want to create, I get asked for a password when CONNECTing in SVRMGR, and can proceed no further. What do I need to do here?

I don't fully understand the password file/ sysoper/sysdba principles - (I did try creating a password file!) though they appear to me to be only relevant when connecting to an instance which is already started up & mounted on an open database. And I definitely don't understand why changing the SID should affect CONNECTing INTERNAL in SVRMGR.
(What is it exactly that INTERNAL connects to when an instance is not running & new database files have not yet been created?)

Thanks in advance.
Michelle
x.
Previous Topic: Re: How does one export an Oracle table to a Comma Delimited Flat File
Next Topic: Re: Invoking SQL*Loader from SQL Plus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 04:08:54 CDT 2024