Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ORACLE Listener configuration...help please
ORACLE Listener configuration...help please [message #38248] Thu, 04 April 2002 06:25 Go to next message
Su
Hi there,

Very recently I downloaded the TOAD Professional Edition on my Win 98 system and tried to connect it to ORACLE8i Personal Edition on the same. But the TOAD shows the error message "ORA12541: TNS:No Listener" when I try to login to the TOAD while connecting it to the ORACLE8i on same system.
Also I tried to create a listener configuration using ORACLE's Net8 Configuraton Assistant and sure enough it is adding the created listener info into LISTENER.ORA in OracleNetworkAdmin folder. Even then the TOAD says no listener. I tried copying the newly created listener content into TNSNAMES.ORA also. Hunn, no use at all.
Any idea, what is going wrong with it? First of all, can't I create a listener on Windows 98? If so, what is wrong then? Where I am loosing the loop.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Su.
Re: ORACLE Listener configuration...help please [message #38260 is a reply to message #38248] Fri, 05 April 2002 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you connect using sql
If you can connect to your database wherever it may be using sqlplus then your listener is working on that machine that the database resides on. The (local)tnsnames.ora file is used to resolve the connect string to your database. The listener.ora and the tnsmaes.ora are used for 2 different purposes. So, your tnanames.ora should have connect information for the database your trying to connect to. It then tries to connect to that database. The listener resides on the machine that your database is physically on and listenens for "connect requests".

Now, if all that is in place and configured properly, try using the tnsping utility from your local machine at the "dos" prompt. If this works your reaching the listener. If this doesn't work, then your listener may not be started. If your listener is started, then your local configuration is not setup properly or your ORACLE_HOME path is not in your path or the TNS_ADMIN is not in your path.

Hope this helps - regards

Jim
Re: ORACLE Listener configuration...help please [message #38263 is a reply to message #38248] Fri, 05 April 2002 04:34 Go to previous message
Su
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your time. The database and the TOAD/POWERBUILDER tools are on the same system (my personal PC system). The ORACLE_HOME and TNS_ADMIN were not set in my autoexec.bat file, so I set them after you said. The ORACLE_HOME is set to C:ORACLEORA8178 (as it shown at Oracle Home Selector in Start/Programs menu)and I set the TNS_ADMIN to C:ORACLEORA8178NETWORKADMIN as the TNSNAMES.ORG is existing in that folder. I went to the MSDOS prompt and entered the TNSPING with my database name.
but it shows the following error message:

TNS-03505: Message 3505 not found; No message file for product=NETWORK, facility=TNS

what could be going wrong? any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Previous Topic: TNS:Protocal Adapter ORA-1560
Next Topic: Oracle 9i to oracle 8.1.6, connectivity..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:33:57 CDT 2024