Home » Other » General » CASE STUDY (ORACLE 8i and DEVELOPER 6)
CASE STUDY [message #384281] Tue, 03 February 2009 02:24 Go to next message
mkhalil
Dear fellows,

The case study is that one of my customer is a Crourier Service Company. All its Branches are spread over the country. Now they want to develop a Database with Tracking System i.e. whenever a person at any location of the country browse their website and enter Slip Number of the packet dispatched the system will provide him the output of Receiving person of the packet dispatched alongwith date and time.

Now what will be the best solution i.e. Centralized database, Distributed Database or some else. Would you please help me in providing detailed solution for this senario?

Thanks for giving your precious time to read and write.

Muhammad Khalil
Re: CASE STUDY [message #384290 is a reply to message #384281] Tue, 03 February 2009 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr.s.raghunathan
generally centralised database serves lot of plus on achieving your specified goal however, depending on your communication network, service provider, transfer rate between places, vitality of the data submission, cost on failures will shift your need towards distributed database. Further, your application requires various other parameters to decide the database requirement. At one stroke if anybody can able to suggest the type of database you require, then he/she is really a magician from my part.
Re: CASE STUDY [message #384333 is a reply to message #384290] Tue, 03 February 2009 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkhalil
Thanks a lot dr.s.raghunathan for your so quick, kind and detailed response. No doubt, no one can suggest type of database for my application but we can solve the problem by discussion with experts like you.

Actually, in this case all branches are working indipendently and want to not share the whole data with each other as well as its Head Office except the data pertaining to the consignment dispatched to a location.

In my view, one complete database including all type of data such as income,expense, consignment related data with branch code etc of the branch should be installed on each branch and one database pertaining to only consignment related data with branch code should be installed on a webserver placed on any one location. Each branch should take daily backup of only consignment related data with branch code and send to the webserver then that backup should be restore/append into the webserver on daily basis. The data on webserver should be accessable by each customer to track its consignment through slip Number.

Is it correct and how is it possible please guide and help me.

Muhammad Khalil
Re: CASE STUDY [message #384438 is a reply to message #384333] Tue, 03 February 2009 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Having the public data separate (stored on a different machine) to the private data is almost mandatory. I prefer an 'air bridge' between the two systems, that is, no physical connection down which a hacker can access the main corporate database. Unfortunately, that is very difficult to do for a system that needs to have up-to-the-minute accuracy. I would suggest using 'push' technology from the corporation to the public database.

Almost any DBA can set up a configuration where the data can be pushed from the central corporate box to a separate 'public' database. Using an all Oracle solution consider using a materialised view on the public database which is a copy of a materialised view maintained on the central machine. This data would be owned by different users and the data would be pushed via a dblink. There are other contributors who will be able to give you a fully explanation of the techniques.

This public database can be replicated if you wish to have multiple copies but I don't believe that it would be necessary.

Updating the public database on a daily basis is too 'course' in my opinion. You need to have minute or at worst hourly updates.

David
Re: CASE STUDY [message #384509 is a reply to message #384438] Wed, 04 February 2009 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkhalil
Thanks David. Are you mean Web Application for specially Consignment related data on each Branch level. Whenever the user enter the data it should be saved in private database as well as update the public database installed in the server and when a customer track any slip number the server will response i.e. the sender initiates the request rather than the recipient and the recipient will respond.

Muhammad Khalil

[Updated on: Wed, 04 February 2009 05:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CASE STUDY [message #384698 is a reply to message #384509] Wed, 04 February 2009 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
How reliable is the internet in your region? Will the same people be entering the new data as are making enquires of the 'public' data?

Have you looked at the websites of other 'couriers'? Eg. DHL?

Do you want the 'public' to be able to make enquiries of their shipments?

David
Re: CASE STUDY [message #384998 is a reply to message #384698] Fri, 06 February 2009 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkhalil
The reliability of Internet in my region is so so not very stong.
The same people entering the new data will not enquire the 'public' data.
I have looked at the website of TNT Courier Service not DHL.
Yes I want the 'public' to be able to make enquiries of their shipment.

Muhammad Khalil
Re: CASE STUDY [message #385279 is a reply to message #384998] Sun, 08 February 2009 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I would stick with the idea of a central machine (you could use Oracle Replication to keep multiple copies at multiple sites up-to-date) and then at your main site have the materialised view under a different userid and then 'push' this view out to the 'external' site under a further different userid. Remember that it is a 'push'. This means that any changes made to the 'public' database will be over-written the next time an update is pushed out.

It would be this last copy that the 'public' would view. Remember that this view must only contain PUBLIC data. You have to be willing to have a hacker penetrate and steal all this data. Therefore, you need to check your privacy laws and make sure that only data that is permitted by your laws exists in this 'final' version of the data.

David
[EDITED by DJM: Oops! Had "Orale Replication" instead of "Oracle Replication".]

[Updated on: Wed, 25 February 2009 00:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CASE STUDY [message #386537 is a reply to message #385279] Mon, 16 February 2009 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkhalil
Thanks djmartin. Very Good Idea. I got it now but the term Orale Replication is new for me. Would you please give me a little detail about this term or any link from where I could read out the text.
Re: CASE STUDY [message #386538 is a reply to message #384281] Mon, 16 February 2009 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
Is GOOGLE broken for you?
Re: CASE STUDY [message #387479 is a reply to message #386538] Thu, 19 February 2009 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MarcS
BlackSwan wrote on Mon, 16 February 2009 08:05
Is GOOGLE broken for you?

Mine is broken too apparently; I only got 8 hits when I entered the noted search-term between double quotes Very Happy
Re: CASE STUDY [message #387484 is a reply to message #387479] Thu, 19 February 2009 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Which one? Orale replication? /forum/fa/3518/0/
Re: CASE STUDY [message #387512 is a reply to message #386537] Thu, 19 February 2009 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
So you are still using Oracle 8i and planning to do all these in 8i?
You do need lots of good luck.

Re: CASE STUDY [message #388304 is a reply to message #387512] Tue, 24 February 2009 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkhalil
Could you please suggest which one version of Oracle alongwith Developer would be the best one for such case and what would be plus by using that one.
Re: CASE STUDY [message #388342 is a reply to message #388304] Tue, 24 February 2009 06:50 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>Could you please suggest which one version of Oracle alongwith Developer
Anything that is latest version.
>>what would be plus by using that one.
Well, you get some support to start with.
More tools and less bugs. The concept you want to implement has matured
a lot in later versions and been stable.
Previous Topic: Query Reporter Initialization error SQL*Net not properly installed...
Next Topic: Logged in User
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:28:20 CDT 2024