Home » Other » Training & Certification » Some Training/Career Advice for Aspiring DBA
Some Training/Career Advice for Aspiring DBA [message #403337] Thu, 14 May 2009 22:29 Go to next message
Belen
I am a currently seeking some advice in regards in able to get more experience/exposure to Oracle DBMS.

I am currently working as a Support Analyst for a software company that specializes in supporting Hotel Chains. The program that my department currently supports, utilizes Oracle as it's backbone, because the application that is installed at the hotels, is also running off the Oracle DBMS, which holds all the hotel's information (reservations, financial data, etc.).

I have gotten my first taste of Oracle at this current job that I have been with for the last 2 years, and I have worked on and fixed certain database problems, (like doing restoring DBs from Symantec Backup Exec, creating and adding tablespaces, adding and dropping redo logs, etc.).
In addition, I have just recently passed my SQL Fundamentals Exam passed as part of the 11g OCA.
I am plenty familiar with basic SQL.

I plan on going for the Administration I exam soon, so, I can get my 11g OCA certfication.

But, the main thing that is holding me back, is that I don't have any college courses under my belt, because, I had went to techinical school for PC supporting.

I am planning on taking college courses revelant to DB Administration.
As well, I am reading a book on Linux, to get familiar with Linux.

I am just asking from the expert DBAs on this board, should I focus more on the OCA/OCP Certification rather than the College Courses?

Because, I know starting off getting into Oracle DB Administration/Developing is very hard, because all jobs are asking for experienced Oracle Professionals.

I am currently 21 years old, and I'm most certain that this path that I want to go down.

Any advice would be greatly helpful.
Re: Some Training/Career Advice for Aspiring DBA [message #403340 is a reply to message #403337] Thu, 14 May 2009 22:51 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
You need a Bachelor's degree.
Previous Topic: book recommendations for official Oracle course SQL Fundamentals I and II
Next Topic: Training In Egypt
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:23:57 CDT 2024