Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Wipro Uwin - Unix Simulator - Anybody worked (Wipro Uwin 2.9.1. , Oracle 10g)
Wipro Uwin - Unix Simulator - Anybody worked [message #409282] Sun, 21 June 2009 23:21 Go to next message
ashoka_bl

Hi All,

First of all let me tell you that I am really new to Unix and Uwin, I need to connect to Oracle database using Uwin.

Oracle Database is in : E:\DevSuiteHome_1\BIN\sqlplusw.exe

Uwin Installed at : "E:\Program Files\Uwin2.9.1\usr\bin\login.exe"

When I run the Uwin and execute SQLPlus command..It says "sqlplus : not found"

Do i need to install Uwin in Oracle Bin folder.

Regards,
Ashoka BL
devanampriya@gmail.com
Re: Wipro Uwin - Unix Simulator - Anybody worked [message #409312 is a reply to message #409282] Mon, 22 June 2009 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Quote:

Oracle Database is in : E:\DevSuiteHome_1\BIN\sqlplusw.exe

Wrong. That is NOT the "Oracle Database" that is just one of the windows client to connect to Oracle databases.

And since UWIn seems to be a Unix simulator, there is generally no way to "connect the UNIX OS" to Oracle. You can only run programs under Unix that connect to Oracle, like SQL*Plus for Unix for example.

You will have to install an Unix Oracle client under UWin I suppose. But since "UWin" is probably not a supported OS by Oracle, there is no way of knowing if it will work or not.

But since you have your terminology all jumbled up, I think you are trying to do something this complicated way which has a much simpler solution. What is your actual goal?
Re: Wipro Uwin - Unix Simulator - Anybody worked [message #409315 is a reply to message #409282] Mon, 22 June 2009 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

@ThomasG,

Thanks for the information, I am learning Unix Shell scripting, I haven't installed UNIX in my Home PC, I thought i can learn Unix Commands with "Uwin".

I thought of learning Unix shell scripting to connect oracle database, retrieve data from EMP table and store it in a flat file.

I have installed Oracle Server in my home PC only.

Regards,
Ashoka BL
Re: Wipro Uwin - Unix Simulator - Anybody worked [message #409321 is a reply to message #409315] Mon, 22 June 2009 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
That might be more complicated than being worth it.

If UWin is anything like Cygwin, then it basically works if you want to get a job done and know what you are doing.

But it is different from a "real" Linux/Unix in so many ways that it is not really a good way to LEARN stuff.

A better option would be to get a Linux machine and install Oracle on that.

Or you can get VMWare and run it under there.

There is even a ready-made VMWare application with Oracle Enterprise Linux 4.6 and Oracle Express Database 10g here that you can download and just run in the VMWare player.
Re: Wipro Uwin - Unix Simulator - Anybody worked [message #409323 is a reply to message #409282] Mon, 22 June 2009 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashoka_bl

@ThomasG,

Thanks for the valuable information, Yes UWin is just like Cygwin.

I am trying to download Unix/Linux in http://www.tech-faq.com/download-unix.shtml.

Please let me know If I can download Unix/Linux online ?

Regards,
Ashoka BL
Re: Wipro Uwin - Unix Simulator - Anybody worked [message #409328 is a reply to message #409323] Mon, 22 June 2009 03:21 Go to previous message
ThomasG
Yes, you can.

You already found dozens of links to dozens of versions.
Previous Topic: Using ps -ef |grep LOCAL
Next Topic: missing select keyword on executing .sql from unix
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:54:43 CDT 2024