Home » Other » Community Hangout » Sports Lovers
Sports Lovers [message #423468] Thu, 24 September 2009 09:03 Go to next message
rleishman
If you love your sport, check out the AFL (Australian Football League) Grand Final tomorrow (about 14:30 GMT+10). It's our Superbowl.

It's been a cracker year and the last two teams at the end of the finals (both Melbourne teams!) were also #1 and #2 at the end of the home and away season, with daylight to #3.

Very unusual to see two such dominant teams in a single year. If you like your sport fast and skillful, this game is going to be an absolute ball-tearer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT-dIr98dDQ
Re: Sports Lovers [message #423471 is a reply to message #423468] Thu, 24 September 2009 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
rleishman wrote on Thu, 24 September 2009 16:03
this game is going to be an absolute ball-tearer.

Maybe we are wussies, but from what I have seen from Australian Football, isn't this the main purpose of the sport?
Re: Sports Lovers [message #423515 is a reply to message #423471] Thu, 24 September 2009 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Contact sport, 18 opponents, no off-side (can get hit from behind, or back into a running opponent), no Sin Bin, no padding. I could see how the uneducated might see it that way.

The GF usually contains a bit more biffo than the home-and-away series because players are willing to cop a suspension to win a flag.

24 hours to go now. Go Catters!
Re: Sports Lovers [message #423534 is a reply to message #423515] Fri, 25 September 2009 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
rleishman wrote on Fri, 25 September 2009 04:50
Contact sport, 18 opponents, no off-side (can get hit from behind, or back into a running opponent), no Sin Bin, no padding.

Sounds a bit like the friendly game of fottie I play in Glasgow on a sSunday afternoon Wink
Re: Sports Lovers [message #423642 is a reply to message #423534] Fri, 25 September 2009 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Not familiar with the Scots game. I know the Irish play Gaelic Footy, on which the Aussie Rules game was based. So much so, the Aussies send talent scouts to Ireland to cherry-pick the best players. We also play a couple of games of International (hybrid) Rules each year with them. Do the Scots play the same game?

6 hours to go. Beers are cold. Chips are crisp.
Re: Sports Lovers [message #423674 is a reply to message #423642] Sat, 26 September 2009 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Did I say Ball-Tearer? Understatement! Man, scores level with 5 minutes remaining..... My telly is still cringing from the yelling-at it got!

The only disappointment was the weather; made the ball-skills look sloppy.

Anyone bother to tune in?
Re: Sports Lovers [message #423747 is a reply to message #423642] Sun, 27 September 2009 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
fottie was a miss-spell. I meant footie, not quite the ball tearer to which you refer, however, weekend, amateur games tend to be a bit more on the 'kick 'em before they kick you' side of the spectrum. Much more fun Smile
Re: Sports Lovers [message #424372 is a reply to message #423674] Thu, 01 October 2009 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
My family was over from Adelaide so we spent the afternoon watching. Yes, a close game and, unfortunately, too wet for the players to show all their skills.

David

[Note to non-Ozites (non-Australians): This form of football is the 'norm' in South Australia, of which Adelaide is the capital.]
Re: Sports Lovers [message #476755 is a reply to message #424372] Sat, 25 September 2010 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
OMG! This year's game was a draw.

Collingwood are simultaneously the most loved (many passionate supporters) and most hated team in the league. I suppose every league has a team that EVERY other supporter hates with a passion. Collingwood is that team. They had most of their success in the first half of the 20th Century when they were the most successful team in the league. Since then, they've had just one premiership (1990) in 52 years, despite countless appearances (and failures) in the Grand Final. These losses include some of the most famous in our game:
- by 1 point to St Kilda in 1966
- a draw with North Melbourne in 1977, and beaten in the replay the following week
- and the most famous of all in 1970 against Carlton, by squandering a 44 point lead and being overtaken in the final quarter - compounded by a blatant umpiring error.

Oh man, those games are sooooo sweet. We (most Victorians) hate Collingwood.

And now another iconic Grand Final to their tally: 2010. Against St Kilda, with Collingwood the short-priced favourites after a near-faultless season. So many people hoping and praying for a repeat of 1966.

This is an incredible game of football. Magnificent performances by both teams. Back-breaking pressure by Collingwood early in the 1st quarter and throughout the 2nd quarter, and one of the gutsiest comebacks by the Saints in the second half. Have a look at this mark and subsequent goal by Brendan Goddard deep in the last quarter to give St Kilda what looked like it might be a match winning lead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT-Ce8aQxR8

Its not too late. If you want to tune in, the do-over is next Saturday at 04:30 GMT
Re: Sports Lovers [message #476765 is a reply to message #476755] Sat, 25 September 2010 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
I suppose every league has a team that EVERY other supporter hates with a passion.
Every Englishman (except some of those who live in Manchester) has this recurring nightmare: his little boy asks him "Daddy, please can I have a Man United shirt?"
That's why I don't have children.
Re: Sports Lovers [message #476767 is a reply to message #476765] Sat, 25 September 2010 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Perhaps a daughter could solve your problem?
Re: Sports Lovers [message #476788 is a reply to message #423468] Sun, 26 September 2010 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I was hoping for some serious flaming from all those Man U fans, to brighten up a dull European Sunday morning.
Re: Sports Lovers [message #476849 is a reply to message #476788] Sun, 26 September 2010 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
When reading the following, please bear in mind that I am an American woman and don't pay much attention to sports competitions. I have never seen a "Man United" shirt. I had to google for "Man United" before it dawned on me that "Man" was an abbreviation for "Manchester". I gather that "Manchester" is somewhere in the United Kingdom. Further searching revealed that there is a "Manchester United Football Club". I looked at a few images and was curious why they all seemed to be looking at the ground. So, I clicked on a video and remembered that what you call "football" in Europe, we call "soccer" here. Over here, "football" is an entirely different game. I don't subscribe to cable television or satellite tv, just the free public broadcast stuff. So, I was surprised when flipping through the channels, that I stumbled upon something new, called lingerie football. It is football, but all the players are women dressed in lingerie, as depicted in the link below.

http://www.google.com/images?q=lingerie%20football%20league&hl=en&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa =N&tab=vi&biw=1067&bih=456

Re: Sports Lovers [message #476850 is a reply to message #476849] Sun, 26 September 2010 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
LOL!!! I'm not a football (soccer for you Americans) fan at all, but I knew what "Man United" was. BB's quest for it is more than hilarious. Thank you for cheering this night; now I can go to bed with a big, BIG smile on my face /forum/fa/1683/0/

BB
why they all seemed to be looking at the ground

Oh, my, I'm gonna die /forum/fa/449/0/
Re: Sports Lovers [message #477127 is a reply to message #476850] Tue, 28 September 2010 17:36 Go to previous message
rleishman
There's now a better video of that freakish Goddard mark on Youtube
Previous Topic: If enough people say it wrong long enough, does that make it right?
Next Topic: The OraCHEF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:07:40 CDT 2024