Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Oracle VPD (oracle 10g and windows 2003)
Oracle VPD [message #451328] Wed, 14 April 2010 01:19 Go to next message
aijaz786
Hi,

I am exploring Eclipes Reporting Tool "BIRT". It looks good to me. It has good integration with J2EE or Java but I am not working with J2EE or Java. To control access to data being used by reports, can we make use of Oracle Virtual Proviate Database (VPD) feature. My purpose to restrict data in reports based on user and his/her role.
I will appreciate if anybody can advise me about VPD and its usefulness and share the experience.

Thanks.
Re: Oracle VPD [message #451331 is a reply to message #451328] Wed, 14 April 2010 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
First investigate if you can't do it simply with privileges and/or views.
Envisage VPD only when you cannot do it in any other ways.

VPD are fully described in the documentation, please first refer to it and come back if you have any precise question.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Wed, 14 April 2010 01:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle VPD [message #451336 is a reply to message #451328] Wed, 14 April 2010 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aijaz786
Hi Michel,

Thanks. I am exploring every thing. I just need to know experience of our collegues in this connection and risks involved with it. I have not used it previously. I have already started reviewing doucments.

Thanks

Re: Oracle VPD [message #452068 is a reply to message #451328] Mon, 19 April 2010 21:55 Go to previous message
Kevin Meade
Most people "roll their own VPD" so to speak with variations on views.

If you want to be really successful, then the thing you need to concentrate on is having a really good understanding of what your SECURITY NEEDS are. Once you have a full and precise understanding of your security needs (AKA your data security nmodel), the actual method you use to enforce it will not be as important and in many cases will be obvious. LIke most everyting else, it is 90% understanding the problem space, 9% testing and 1% coding.

VPD is cool, but it is an Advanced Oracle Feature and so will have its limitations and quirks that you will want to learn before you rely on it. Don't get me wrong, so far as I can tell, VPD works as advertised. The problem is that without exception every Advanced Oracle Feature I have tried to use has come with plenty that it did not advertise.

Good luck, Kevin

[Updated on: Mon, 19 April 2010 21:57]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Changing the LDAP Password
Next Topic: Audit logs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:53:13 CDT 2024