Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » using single tnsnames.ora file for two different database with different user at different locations (ORACLE 9i )
using single tnsnames.ora file for two different database with different user at different locations [message #481114] Sun, 31 October 2010 01:52 Go to next message
bazindia
Dear All,
Currently I have VPN connectivity connecting my head office and one branch .In both the places there is server installed with oracle 9i enterprise edition .Head office server IP is 555.666.777.888 and Branch server IP is 111.222.333.444. I am able to ping each other .In head office user is "stock" and in Branch user is "Invent" . Both the user contains same tables.So to run Branch's application in head office I have to change tnsnames.ora file everytime . I am looking for a single tnsnames.ora file and no need to change it again and again to run the application form . So any one can help me to make a single TNS file to run both the application or any other idea ? please do share .
Thaning you in advance
Bazz

[EDITED by LF: removed IP addresses]

[Updated on: Sun, 31 October 2010 12:21] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: using single tnsnames.ora file for two different database with different user at different locat [message #481117 is a reply to message #481114] Sun, 31 October 2010 07:38 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Users/Username/Schema has nothing to do with tnsnames.ora.

You connect to the database identified by tnsnames.ora entry using the user/password.

>>So to run Branch's application in head office I have to change tnsnames.ora file everytime
Not necessary at all.
Just add entries for both databases and use them.

[Updated on: Sun, 31 October 2010 08:19]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: when is LOG_DIRECTORY_SERVER and LOG_DIRECTORY_CLIENT set
Next Topic: Is there a parameter that would cause a session to "give up"?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:54:01 CDT 2024