Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Which Windows user is MANDATORY (or suggested) to use when installing Oracle patches? (any)
Which Windows user is MANDATORY (or suggested) to use when installing Oracle patches? [message #483547] Mon, 22 November 2010 14:30 Go to next message
mkounalis
We have almost 400 production two-node RAC clusters in the environment I help manage - all these sites have databases where the database name is exactly the same, so using Grid Control right now isn't in the cards (and yes - I am working on assigning them all a unique name Wink ). We want to use IBM's BIGFIX to deploy patch 32 on top of 10.2.0.3 for Windows Itanium. BigFix runs as a user different from that used to install the Oracle software originally. There is nothing in the patch notes to suggest that you must use a certain Windows user to install the patch - so the question is, does it matter what Windows User I use as long as they are an 'Administrator' equivalent?

Another question to ask you fine folks is how do you perform mass updates/patches in your Windows server environments? I am looking for examples outside of Grid Control - which I know would work if only my predecessor didn't name these databases the same Wink.

Thanks all for you replies!

[Updated on: Mon, 22 November 2010 14:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Which Windows user is MANDATORY (or suggested) to use when installing Oracle patches? [message #483550 is a reply to message #483547] Mon, 22 November 2010 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Hi - I can't make any suggestions on how to roll out patches in a large Windows environment without Grid Control, but I can say that Grid control has no problem with many databases having the same name. The target names within Grid Control will be different, but the target name does not have to be the same as the database name - so, no problem. You can even register the same database twice, which is a bit silly.
Re: Which Windows user is MANDATORY (or suggested) to use when installing Oracle patches? [message #483553 is a reply to message #483550] Mon, 22 November 2010 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkounalis
John - I tried your approach with Oracle's PM helping me, and what you describe does not seem to be the case. One thing I didn't mention above is that the DBID is the same for all systems because of how the systems were deployed - and that might be the cause of it. We tried for over a month to find a workaround, only to be told that the only way to solve our issue was to uniquely name the database instances. The target names discovered by the agents were all the same coming in to the Grid Control database, so I am not sure how the target could be changed - but I am not a Grid Control expert. If you have a document you can refer me to, I will take another look. Thanks for the reply!

[Updated on: Mon, 22 November 2010 17:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Which Windows user is MANDATORY (or suggested) to use when installing Oracle patches? [message #483568 is a reply to message #483553] Tue, 23 November 2010 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I've just done it, as a test. Perhaps the problem is the automatic discovery? If you do it manually, you have to choose the target name. DBID is definitely not a problem, or it couldn't handle physical standbys. Doing it manually for 400 DBs would be silly, but you can script it with emcli. Have you got thet setup? Here's the relevant help:

Examples:
  emcli add_target
        -name="database"
        -type="oracle_database"
        -host="myhost.us.oracle.com"
        -credentials="UserName:dbsnmp;password:dbsnmp;Role:Normal"
        -properties="SID:semcli;Port:15091;OracleHome:/oracle;MachineName:smpamp-sun1.us.oracle.com"
        -groups="Group1:group;Group2:group"
    Add an oracle_database target with name "database".  Take notice
    of the way the credentials are specified.  The "name"s in those
    name-value pairs come from the oracle_database metadata file.
    They must appear exactly as they are named in that file (the same
    goes for the property "name"s). This example uses the base minimum
    of required credentials and properties for the database target.

Re: Which Windows user is MANDATORY (or suggested) to use when installing Oracle patches? [message #484326 is a reply to message #483568] Mon, 29 November 2010 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkounalis
John - does EMCLI exist on the 10.2.0.3 agent? That is the newest agent that is available for Itanium Windows (as far as I know) and I don't see that executable . . . .
Re: Which Windows user is MANDATORY (or suggested) to use when installing Oracle patches? [message #484549 is a reply to message #484326] Wed, 01 December 2010 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
A late reply, but.... The emcli is available on all versions I know of. To install, these steps:

1. Install Java 1.6

2. Download the emcli from your grid controller,
https://omshost:port/em/console/emcli/download
(that's the 11g URL, I think it was the same for 10g)

3. install it
java -jar emclikit.jar client -install_dir=/wherever

4. set it up
emcli setup -url=https://omshost:port/em username=sysman

and that's about it. The help is pretty good,
emcli help
emcli help setup
etc

It's really useful, you can script pretty much anything.
Re: Which Windows user is MANDATORY (or suggested) to use when installing Oracle patches? [message #484571 is a reply to message #484549] Wed, 01 December 2010 11:56 Go to previous message
mkounalis
John - this seems like a good tip - I am not sure why Oracle didn't suggest this, but I am going to try it. Thank you VERY MUCH!!!
Previous Topic: The gateway could not receive a timely response
Next Topic: OO4O with javascript
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:47:45 CDT 2024