Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » Best way to install APEX v4 (Oracle Database 10.2.0.5 on Windows 2003)
Best way to install APEX v4 [message #503261] Wed, 13 April 2011 22:51 Go to next message
maxmixiv
Hello!

Sorry, it will be lengthy post.

I want to learn APEX technology.
As always, the using of the APEX seems to be much simpler than the installation and configuration.
I need help with installation!

First, I studied the manual "Application Express Installation Guide", and successfully "inserted" APEX into the db (by invoking apexins.sql script).
APEX is still unavailable from the browser, because (I believe):
Quote:
In order to run, Oracle Application Express must have access to Oracle Application Express Listener, the embedded PL/SQL gateway or Oracle HTTP Server and mod_plsql.

I chose to go with Application Express Listener, because we had IIS 6.0 and Apache 2.0 already installed on the server (listening on ports 80 and 8080), and I was afraid, that Oracle HTTP Server "will not fit" among those web servers.
QUESTION1: Was my choice wise, in terms of simplicity (perfomance, security, etc do not matter at this time)?

Unfortunately, "Oracle Application Express Listener Installation and Developer Guide" appeared very difficult to read for the person, who knows very little about Java. Sad
I will try to outline my problems:
This guide forces to choose among the following "things":

• - Oracle WebLogic Server 11g Release 1 (10.3.3) or higher
  • - Oracle GlassFish Server Release 3 or higher
  • - Oracle Containers for J2EE Release 10.1.3.4 or higher

WebLogic and GlassFish scared me, and I blindly chose "Oracle Containers for J2EE"(OC4J).
Then I learned, that I will need:

• Java 6 Update 20 JDK or higher
  • Java Servlet Specification 2.3 or higher

Regarding JDK, I found, that upgrade is needed (and I am stuck on how to upgrade it - WHY 10.2.0.5 patchset did not make this upgrade?)
C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\jdk\bin>java -version
java version "1.4.2_14"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_14-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_14-b05, mixed mode)

Regarding Java Servlet Specification 2.3, I simply have no idea, what it is...

Next, though the guide also mentions, that OC4J could be downloaded, I noticed, that my Oracle database home already has the directory, which seems to be related:
C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\oc4j\

Also, OUI lists among installed components, the "Oracle Containers for Java 10.2.0.5.0".
QUESTION2: Can you confirm, that I already have proper OC4J installed?

In assumption, that I succeded to upgrade my JDK, and OC4J does not need the upgrade, then the last obstacle:
Quote:
You must start the OC4J Server before you start the Application Server Control
Console. Consider the following example:
cd <oc4j install directory>/j2ee/home
java -jar oc4j.jar

Of course, this command does not execute:
'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

QUESTION3: Should I always type absolute path to java.exe - C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\jdk - or am I missing something?

So, what is outcome:
I have modest experience in Oracle database administration and in "normal" web servers' configuration (Apache and IIS), but zero experience in "java web servers".
Is it possible for such mortal being to install APEX?
I am feeling caught in labyrinth Shocked

Best regards,
Max
Re: Best way to install APEX v4 [message #503298 is a reply to message #503261] Thu, 14 April 2011 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Poor you.

I can't answer (most) of your questions, but - if that's not a problem - I'll share my experience.

As you said that you (personally) want to learn Apex, perhaps you could install Oracle 10g XE on your own computer. It is done rather quickly. XE already contains Apex. Of course, you don't want to use that version, but the newest one. OK, no problem - choose "Full development environment" for „Downloading from OTN and Configuring the Embedded PL/SQL Gateway". In a matter of 15 minutes, Apex should be up and running.

Now, if you choose to follow my suggestion, ask if there's something you'd like to know - I'll assist if I can.

As of "java" not being recognized: add its path into the PATH environment variable (I'd suggest to put it at the beginning of the PATH; otherwise, if there are older installations, they might be invoked first).
Re: Best way to install APEX v4 [message #503363 is a reply to message #503298] Fri, 15 April 2011 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maxmixiv
Thanks Littlefoot,
I want to struggle a bit more, because I would feel very uncomfortable in position, when I am ready to start my first "real" application, but am unable to deploy it.
More important, our development database 10gR2 contains a lot of PL/SQL and data, which I would like to use in future Apex applications.

May be, it would be easier to forget Apex Listener, and try with Oracle HTTP server? As yet I cannot even imagine, how much documentation I will have to read.
Re: Best way to install APEX v4 [message #503365 is a reply to message #503363] Fri, 15 April 2011 00:11 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Best of luck, whichever way you choose!
Previous Topic: Print button
Next Topic: Attribute Dictionary - Apply Changes to Multiple Pages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:14:34 CDT 2024