Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Using Putty to connect to Oracle database
Using Putty to connect to Oracle database [message #514635] Tue, 05 July 2011 11:41 Go to next message
TX_developer
Hi all,

Do I need to install the Oracle client in order to use putty to connect to the database?

thx,
tx_developer
Re: Using Putty to connect to Oracle database [message #514636 is a reply to message #514635] Tue, 05 July 2011 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Do I need to install the Oracle client in order to use putty to connect to the database?
no, not if you directly log onto DB Server itself.

It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

[Updated on: Tue, 05 July 2011 11:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using Putty to connect to Oracle database [message #514638 is a reply to message #514636] Tue, 05 July 2011 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TX_developer
Well, it's a 10g oracle database and that's all I know as I can't access it (first day - nobody available to assist). It's a Unix OS - again, that's all the information I have.

I have a host name, username, and password. I can access an application that uses the database with this username and password but it's for the users to run reports and such. When I launch putty, put in the host name it prompts for username. I enter it and it promtps for a password. Once I enter the password it just keeps prompting for the password.

I cannot run Toad because I do not have the oracle client installed yet. I wasn't sure if the same is true for Putty as I am new to Unix and Putty.
Re: Using Putty to connect to Oracle database [message #514639 is a reply to message #514638] Tue, 05 July 2011 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I wasn't sure if the same is true for Putty as I am new to Unix and Putty.
PUTTY is ssh/telnet alternative & talks to the Operating System; not any Oracle DB.

http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/
above is a decent, self-contained GUI client
Re: Using Putty to connect to Oracle database [message #514640 is a reply to message #514639] Tue, 05 July 2011 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TX_developer
Thank you Blackswan. Can't install anything unfortunately.

I am new to all of his but wouldn't I need to log on to the server with a server username/password then use sqlplus to connect to the database with the database username/password? That's what would make sense to me anyhow but all I have is the database username/password.
Re: Using Putty to connect to Oracle database [message #514641 is a reply to message #514640] Tue, 05 July 2011 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I need to log on to the server with a server username/password
>then use sqlplus to connect to the database with the database username/password?
Above is one possible solution.
Another possibility would be to access the remote DB via SQL*Net
Re: Using Putty to connect to Oracle database [message #514642 is a reply to message #514641] Tue, 05 July 2011 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TX_developer
Yes, but I was given Putty to connect. I guess my main point here is that I would need the host/server username/password first if he wants me to use Putty to connect, and once I am connected to the server I can access the database.
Re: Using Putty to connect to Oracle database [message #514645 is a reply to message #514642] Tue, 05 July 2011 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
we can't do anything for you until you get logged directly to DB Sever system.
Re: Using Putty to connect to Oracle database [message #514760 is a reply to message #514640] Wed, 06 July 2011 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
raj9999
If you want to login through putty then you definately need a username/password of the server.
once logged in, you can connect to sqlplus.
Re: Using Putty to connect to Oracle database [message #514768 is a reply to message #514760] Wed, 06 July 2011 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TX_developer
Thanks - that's what I was thinking but didn't want to ask him a stupid question since he said he gave me all the information.
Re: Using Putty to connect to Oracle database [message #519324 is a reply to message #514768] Thu, 11 August 2011 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s197oo302

consider modifying tnsnames.ora file for remote db, and then try sqlplus for easy connection. If you don't use tnsnames.ora, sqlplus command become way longer, and you need tnsnames.ora file to connect remote db easily.
Re: Using Putty to connect to Oracle database [message #519359 is a reply to message #514768] Thu, 11 August 2011 05:36 Go to previous message
dkdms2124

Quote:

Do I need to install the Oracle client in order to use putty to connect to the database?

Answer is no, you need not have to install oracle client in order to connect to putty, putty let you have the remote access of the server.

Quote:

I have a host name, username, and password. I can access an application that uses the database with this username and password but it's for the users to run reports and such. When I launch putty, put in the host name it prompts for username. I enter it and it promtps for a password. Once I enter the password it just keeps prompting for the password.

If you have hostname, username and password & then you are not able to login to the machine it means that one of the "username" or the "password" is wrong. But if the credentials are for the database then you get simply install the TOAD or DB-Vizualizer or any other connectivity tool and can easily access Database.

Thanks n Regards
Deepak

Previous Topic: DB Link creation - No TNSNAMES.ora. Using LDAP
Next Topic: Remote db connection with gateway
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:04:05 CDT 2024