Home » Other » Community Hangout » Odd holidays
Odd holidays [message #518979] Mon, 08 August 2011 10:40 Go to next message
John Watson
I had been wondering why I've had no mails today from a client in Rhode Island, and I've just found out why: today is VJ (Victory over Japan) Day, which is a public holiday there. How amazingly twentieth century! Mind you, I live in England at the moment, and we had a holiday because of a royal wedding, which is pretty backward too.
Does anyone else have holidays for strange reasons?
Re: Odd holidays [message #518989 is a reply to message #518979] Mon, 08 August 2011 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
John Watson wrote on Mon, 08 August 2011 08:40

Does anyone else have holidays for strange reasons?

It depends on your definition of holiday and your definition of strange. There are lots of websites out there with various such things, but many such things were either not very popular to begin with or lost popularity over the years or were not publicized well and most people have never heard about them. Most of these things, although called holidays, are not things for which businesses give employees a day off. For example, today, August 8th, is the official national day or night (started in Pennsylvania) to sneak some zucchini onto your neighbor's porch:

http://www.gone-ta-pott.com/sneaksomezucchiniontoyourneighborsporchday.html

Every time I hear of something in addition to the traditional holidays, I mark it on my calendar, and either attempt to participate in some small way or avoid it, depending on what it is, then mark it on next year's calendar. Examples of such things on my calendar:

August 23: DBA Day

first Wednesday in October: International Walk to School Day

the day after Thanksgiving: Black Friday (shopping)

last Saturday in March: earth hour

April 1: April Fool's Day

April 25: Red Hat Society Day (when all of us women over 50 wear a red hat and a purple dress; younger women wear a pink hat and lavender dress)
Red Hat Society http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Society
Warning poem http://labyrinth_3.tripod.com/page59.html

Apr 27?: Denim Day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denim_Day

first Saturday in June: National Trails Day

July 15: National Ice Cream Day

July 21: National Junk Food Day

1st Tuesday in August: National Night Out Against Crime

[Updated on: Mon, 08 August 2011 13:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Odd holidays [message #519041 is a reply to message #518989] Tue, 09 August 2011 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
knw15pwr
I remember in my school days we had 3 holidays on 3 different days to commemorate the birth anniversary of a King.
1 day was based on the roman calendar, 1 based on the lunar month or local calendar and 1 based on the date that a famous historian had said was the actual birth date.
(i guess they have now settled for 1 day -dont remember which one though)
Re: Odd holidays [message #519250 is a reply to message #519041] Wed, 10 August 2011 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Three days for one king! That really was excessive. I just had a look at royal families, there are loads of countries that still have them. Here's a list I've put together, it probably isn't correct/complete. I've *starred the ones with absolute power. I haven't tried to include ones like Greece or Bavaria, who have been booted out.

Africa
Lesotho - King Letsie III
Morocco - King Mohammed VI
*Swaziland - King Mswati III

Asia
Bhutan - King Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuck
*Brunei - Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiiah
Cambodia - King Norodom Sihamoni
Japan - Emperor Akihito
Malaysia - King Mizan Zainal Abidin
Thailand - King Bhumibol Adulyadej

Europe
Andorra - Princes Nicolas Sarkozy and Bishop Joan Enric Vives Sicilia
Belgium - King Albert II
Denmark - Queen Margarethe II
Liechtenstein - Prince Hans Adam II
Luxembourg - Grand Duke Henri
Monaco - Prince Albert II
Netherlands - Queen Beatrix
Norway - King Harald V
Spain - King Juan Carlos I
Sweden - King Carl Gustaf XVI
UK - Queen Elizabeth II

Middle East
Bahrein - King Hamad bin Isa al-Khalifa
Jordan - King Abdullah II
Kuwait - Emir Sabah Al-Ahmed Al Jaber Al-Sabah
*Oman - Sultan Oabus ibn Sa'id
*Qatar - Emir Sheik Hamad ibn Khalifa al-Thani
*Saudi Arabia - King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz al-Saud
United Arab Emirates - Sheik Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan

Middle of nowhere
Tonga - King George Tupou V.

(ps - think of this as today's item of useless information)
Re: Odd holidays [message #519289 is a reply to message #519250] Wed, 10 August 2011 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Why did British choose an ocean liner to be their queen? /forum/fa/1580/0/
Re: Odd holidays [message #519340 is a reply to message #519289] Thu, 11 August 2011 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
Why did British choose an ocean liner to be their queen?
Probably for the same reason that King Ludwig II designed his castle at Neuschwanstein
http://www.marerico.com/ludwigIIpictures/Neuschwanstein.jpg
as a copy of Walt Disney's:
http://wikitravel.org/upload/shared/f/fe/Magic_Kingdom_-_Cinderella_Castle_-_by_K_Rommel-Esham.jpg
Re: Odd holidays [message #519346 is a reply to message #519340] Thu, 11 August 2011 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
Did you notice there's only one emperor in the list? Didn't realise he's in charge.
Re: Odd holidays [message #519354 is a reply to message #519346] Thu, 11 August 2011 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
@John: well yes, the same goes for the recent royal wedding.

BTW, what an effort you put into the list! Wow.

@Cookie: don't believe everything they say. I *know* the truth, I saw The Last Emperor movie. He was the last, so this one must be fake.
Re: Odd holidays [message #519644 is a reply to message #519354] Tue, 16 August 2011 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
We have a day off for a horse race. Top that!
Re: Odd holidays [message #519653 is a reply to message #519644] Tue, 16 August 2011 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Yesterday was a holiday in Freistaat Bayern (but not, I think, in the rest of Germany) to celebrate a considerably less frequent event than a horse race. There are some advantages to living in Catholic countries (not that I live in one now).
Re: Odd holidays [message #532657 is a reply to message #519653] Wed, 23 November 2011 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Here in the United States, tomorrow, Thursday, is Thanksgiving. Apparently it originated as a feast giving thanks for the fall harvest. Also, the day after Thanksgiving is known as Black Friday, the first day of the biggest shopping time of the year.

As with most holidays, people tend to develop their own individual new traditions over time. Many people have Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and the following Saturday and Sunday off and combine all four days for something.

So what are all of you planning to do? Are you having a traditional feast with extended family in somebody's home or at a restaurant? Are you using the four days to fly somewhere to visit people? Are you a vegetarian who goes somewhere to feed turkeys instead of eating them? Do you plan to get a group together and watch or listen to "Alice's Restaurant"? Do you plan to camp out overnight in front of some store in order to be one of the first few in the stampede through the door when it opens on Black Friday? Do you plan to avoid all of the crowds and traffic and relax at home or catch up on yard work or other chores? What else do you plan to do?

I plan to spend the time at home with my cats, don't plan to eat anything special, hope to make a little progress on some yard work, and may watch "Alice's Restaurant" again. Or, maybe I'll just record the "Twilight Zone" marathon and watch that a little at a time in the future, at times like this, when I am using my computer.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 November 2011 18:26]

Re: Odd holidays [message #532675 is a reply to message #532657] Thu, 24 November 2011 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Are you a vegetarian who goes somewhere to feed turkeys instead of eating them?

Now that's nice! Go out and feed turkeys. People who will eat them afterwards will appreciate your efforts! /forum/fa/1693/0/

(Off topic, but - I'd like to know: how do you record TV program? What device do you use?)

Finally: we don't have Thanksgiving; our next holiday will be Christmas.
Re: Odd holidays [message #532681 is a reply to message #532675] Thu, 24 November 2011 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Littlefoot wrote on Wed, 23 November 2011 22:11

how do you record TV program? What device do you use?

I use a digital video recorder (DVR). Mine is a Philips brand, model DVDR3575H/37 with 160GB hard disk and ATSC tuner. I purchased it four years ago and it is still working well. I do not have any cable or satellite television service. I just record what is broadcast on free channels for my own viewing at convenient times. I usually end up watching things a day or two after I record them. Then I delete them to make space for the next ones. It is connected to my television set, so that I can access the menu on-screen and play back what it records.

Re: Odd holidays [message #532701 is a reply to message #532657] Thu, 24 November 2011 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
I plan to spend the time at home with my cats
These are my two office mates.
Re: Odd holidays [message #532712 is a reply to message #532681] Thu, 24 November 2011 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Well, that's what I thought (that it would be a DVR). So you don't actually record these TV shows on DVDs, do you? You just use a built-in hard disk, right?

Croatia has just entered a digital era (regarding television signals) so we had to purchase DVB-T (Digital Video Broadcasting - Terrestrial) tuners (if TV sets don't have them - new TVs do). I bought Strong SRT 5222, a twin tuner device that is capable of recording two different TV shows at a time onto a hard disk (actually, any USB storage device). Currently, I use 1.5TB + 2 x 300GB external HDDs; quite a lot of space.

During the last few days I watched two similar movies: the first one is I am legend, and another one is Contagion. IMDB ratings are the same for both movies: 7.1 at the moment. However, I found the "I am legend" much more interesting and entertaining. True, as a kid I loved SF and that might be a reason, but "Contagion" is just too slow and ... well, boring. Besides, I don't like to see Gwyneth Paltrow dead, lying on the autopsy table /forum/fa/4921/0/
Re: Odd holidays [message #532715 is a reply to message #532712] Thu, 24 November 2011 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
It does have the capability of recording to a DVD disk, but I find it more convenient to use the DVR instead, since I delete everything after I watch it and don't save anything long-term.

I haven't been watching many movies later. I have been watching some of the new shows, like "Person of Interest" and "Terra Nova" and "Ringer" and new episodes of "House" and "Hawaii Five-O". If you liked "Lost" then you would probably find that "Terra Nova" has some similarities. Some of the stars of "Lost" ended up on "Person of Interest" and "Ringer" and "Hawaii Five-O".

Re: Odd holidays [message #532719 is a reply to message #532715] Thu, 24 November 2011 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Yes, I watched "Lost" (the first 3 seasons, that is - the rest was never broadcasted on our TV channels), and I liked it. There's "Hawaii Five-O" on now, but I don't watch it. I have a few more episodes of Lie to me that I recorded, and then "House", the latest season.
Re: Odd holidays [message #543111 is a reply to message #532719] Mon, 13 February 2012 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Speaking of House, MD: have you seen Chase, Foreman & House singing Midnight Train to Georgia? Sound better than Gladys Knight & The Pips /forum/fa/1683/0/

P.S. I've just read a comment on the bottom; true, it was strange seeing them like in a mirror (I watched that episode yesterday and remember what I saw). Someone said Quote:
It's mirrored. Helps stop YouTube's copyright software detecting and removing FOX clips.

Gee, didn't know that /forum/fa/450/0/

So, if you don't want to violate the law, don't watch it (too many times, that is).

[Updated on: Mon, 13 February 2012 02:48]

Re: Odd holidays [message #543134 is a reply to message #543111] Mon, 13 February 2012 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
c_stenersen
I saw something like that as well. I saw some parody "literal" music video of Bonnie Tyler's Total eclipse of the heart a few years ago. It has apparently been banned in the US since then, and removed from Youtube. But then I found a version there which had a frame of what looked like a TV with a cat sitting next to it around the video, and a comment said that it was to make sure that Youtube's auto-ban didn't catch it. I still think it's really funny though Laughing
Eclipse of the heart video, literal version
Re: Odd holidays [message #543170 is a reply to message #543134] Mon, 13 February 2012 04:47 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
A cat?!? Gosh!
Previous Topic: Hi I am a new member
Next Topic: Hello and goodbye
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:49:43 CDT 2024