Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Need some help about using oracle connection manager (oracle database 9.2.0.4 )
Need some help about using oracle connection manager [message #534197] Sun, 04 December 2011 04:38 Go to next message
emergingdba

I was trying to connect to a remote database from my client machine. Client machine runs a jsp code to connect to the database and execute a query. I have got oracle jdbc on my machine but still unable to connect to the database.

When checked in google, i found that oracle connection manager has to be used to connect to the database from jdbc if the web server and database reside on different physical servers. But could'nt gather any further information regarding download and installation.

I do not have oracle connection manager on my system. I read in internet that it is shipped along with oracle 11g software. But i am not sure if that was the case in earlier version as well.

My question is where should i install oracle connection manager? (on database server or client machine) and is it possible to download and install only the connection manager as a stand alone so that i can connect to database from application?
Re: Need some help about using oracle connection manager [message #534199 is a reply to message #534197] Sun, 04 December 2011 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I have had to do this when running Java applets downloaded from a web listener: the applet can talk only to the web listener machine. So to fool it into talking to a database on a different machine, you go through an Oracle Connection manager on the web listener machine which routes the connection onward to the datbase server. Is this, or something similiar, what you want to do?
If so, no problem: the Connection Manager is shipped with all releases. I do not know what the licensing implications are.
Re: Need some help about using oracle connection manager [message #534200 is a reply to message #534199] Sun, 04 December 2011 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
emergingdba

Hi John,

Thanks a lot. This is very similar what i wanted. Is connection manager shipped with oracle client as well?. If so, how do i install connection manager if i have already installed client. Even if i have to uninstall and re-install client what should i take care off while installing client so that connection manager gets installed?
Re: Need some help about using oracle connection manager [message #534201 is a reply to message #534200] Sun, 04 December 2011 07:03 Go to previous message
John Watson
It is shipped with the server, not the client. Take the "cusotom" install option. As for configuring it, talk to your DBA: he'll know all about it.
Previous Topic: unable to connect to db from client
Next Topic: where can i download the oracle gateway for sql server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:53:11 CDT 2024