Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Datapump with DMP file, no other info (Oracle 11g, Win7-Ult-64)
Datapump with DMP file, no other info [message #536225] Mon, 19 December 2011 17:11 Go to next message
rwilson352
Hi,

I am a software contractor writing a database app for my client using their database. Recently, they upgraded their software to the newest version, which meant their DB platform switched from Firebird (easy to use, but slow) to Oracle (wow... it's fast, but soooo complicated)

The software vendor that created the database and software that uses it (inventory management software) has given me a .DMP file of the database in order to import it on my computer (Win7 running on a MacBook Pro)

However, they have not given me any other information. I know the database name but I do not know what the "directory" parameter is.

I am new to Oracle and I very much appreciated the wiki article on data pump, but I have a few questions.

1) Am I correct in the assumption that I need to know the "Directory" parameter?
2) In Oracle nomenclature, "user" is the same as "schema", right? So if you asked me the database name, it would be the same as the user name?
3) If you were given a .DMP file but no other information (besides the user/schema/database name, if those all refer to the same thing), would you be able to grab the tables/data from it?
4) Can anyone give me the right question to ask? My experience is usually that I am simply unable to ask the right question so if someone can give me the right question to ask I'll google it (or you could give me the question AND the answer which I would be very grateful for).

All I need from the DMP is the tables and data (actually, I already have a DB that has the same table structure, I literally JUST need the data) so that I can continue to develop this app.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is long-winded. The balance between being concise and thorough is a difficult one.

Thank you in advance.
Re: Datapump with DMP file, no other info [message #536229 is a reply to message #536225] Mon, 19 December 2011 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>1) Am I correct in the assumption that I need to know the "Directory" parameter?
DIRECTORY is required when dealing with expdp & impdp
SQL> desc all_directories
 Name					   Null?    Type
 ----------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------
 OWNER					   NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
 DIRECTORY_NAME 			   NOT NULL VARCHAR2(30)
 DIRECTORY_PATH 				    VARCHAR2(4000)

>2) In Oracle nomenclature, "user" is the same as "schema", right?
yes
>So if you asked me the database name, it would be the same as the user name?
no
>3) If you were given a .DMP file but no other information (besides the user/schema/database name, if those all refer to the same thing), would you be able to grab the tables/data from it?
yes
>4) Can anyone give me the right question to ask? My experience is usually that I am simply unable to ask the right question so if someone can give me the right question to ask I'll google it (or you could give me the question AND the answer which I would be very grateful for).

impdp help=yes

It would be helpful if you followed Posting Guidelines - http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/88153/0/

from the OS command line can you do as below?

sqlplus
/ as sysdba

[Updated on: Mon, 19 December 2011 18:01]

Report message to a moderator

icon10.gif  Re: Datapump with DMP file, no other info [message #536403 is a reply to message #536225] Tue, 20 December 2011 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LKBrwn_DBA
Before you can even try and do something with the "dump" file, you will need an active database.

The only Oracle version that will run on Windoze 7 (home edition) would be the Oracle Express edition.

Good luck!

[Updated on: Tue, 20 December 2011 13:48] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Datapump with DMP file, no other info [message #536405 is a reply to message #536225] Tue, 20 December 2011 14:20 Go to previous message
John Watson
Two very basic questions: have you downloaded and installed the Oracle server software? Have you created a database into which to import your DMP file?
(And by the way, you can usually say that "user" and "schema" are synonymous. A "database" can contain many schemas.)
Previous Topic: IMPORT problem
Next Topic: Data Pump Error - ORA-39070: Unable to open the log file.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:48:55 CDT 2024