Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » SPFILE restore from autobackup no catalog (2 Merged) (11.1.0.6 windows 2008)
SPFILE restore from autobackup no catalog (2 Merged) [message #562494] Wed, 01 August 2012 12:25 Go to next message
saikat891

Hi,

I need to restore entire database(sp+control+datafile) to new host.I have started the instance with nomount( and it has created a dummy parameter file).Now, I need to fire the command to restore spfile.

RUN
{
ALLOCATE CHANNEL c1 DEVICE TYPE sbt PARMS='...';
RESTORE SPFILE TO PFILE '?/oradata/test/inittrgta.ora' FROM AUTOBACKUP;
SHUTDOWN ABORT;
}

My questions:-

1.How will RMAN find the location of backupset(Since there is controlfile for neither target or catalog database)?
2.How does RMAN reache the backupset in case of a)tape b)disk?

SPFILE restore from autobackup no catalog [message #562495 is a reply to message #562494] Wed, 01 August 2012 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saikat891

Hi,

I need to restore entire database(sp+control+datafile) to new host.I have started the instance with nomount( and it has created a dummy parameter file).Now, I need to fire the command to restore spfile.

RUN
{
ALLOCATE CHANNEL c1 DEVICE TYPE sbt PARMS='...';
RESTORE SPFILE TO PFILE '?/oradata/test/inittrgta.ora' FROM AUTOBACKUP;
SHUTDOWN ABORT;
}

My questions:-

1.How will RMAN find the location of backupset(Since there is controlfile for neither target or catalog database)?
2.How does RMAN reache the backupset in case of a)tape b)disk?

Re: SPFILE restore from autobackup no catalog (2 Merged) [message #562497 is a reply to message #562494] Wed, 01 August 2012 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
1. You gave the location in your "allocate channel", then it just scan the autobackups
2. See 1.

Regards
Michel
Re: SPFILE restore from autobackup no catalog (2 Merged) [message #562508 is a reply to message #562497] Wed, 01 August 2012 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saikat891

Hi Mikel,

Thanks for your reply,

1.okay..i am giving location in params=ora_client=hostname env=path of library file...So,Rman accesses the library file and scan the tape for the autobackups..am i correct?

2.But,in case of disk we dont give parms,so how can RMAN find the backupset to restorespfile from autobackup?

3.We can configure autobackup format while restoring.a)Should this path be same as format of autobackup while taking the ackup?
b)Do I need to keep the backupset in the path specified in the autobackup format?
Regards,
Saikat
Re: SPFILE restore from autobackup no catalog (2 Merged) [message #562534 is a reply to message #562508] Thu, 02 August 2012 01:00 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
1. Yes
2. There is always a (default) location. Try "show all;", "db_recovery_file_dest" parameter and in the end $ORACLE_HOME/dbs (or database).
3. I don't really understand the question but all these questions are answered in the documentation:
Database Backup and Recovery Reference
Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: RMAN Backup oracle 10g to be restored on oracle 11g (3 merged)
Next Topic: Error in rman backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:35:33 CDT 2024