Home » Other » General » How to limit number of cores for license a Database Oracle? (Oracle Linux x64)
How to limit number of cores for license a Database Oracle? [message #568031] Tue, 09 October 2012 03:45 Go to next message
joseyluis
We have a new server with 12 cores = 6 processors (X 0.5 factor).
We have license only for three processors.

I have asked to my sales rep in Oracle if is legal possible to disable the cores in bios or at OS level (Linux).
He says it isn't possible, that I must use OVM

I don't want to use OVM (it slows performance, one more system to administer, and one more point of failure).

The question: Do you know if it is correct that my sales rep has told me? (I ask this, because I have seen several times that Oracle
rep don't know to license their products). Also reading OLSA and other guidelines from Oracle I haven't found anything
about this subject. Do I have some possibility for negotiate the change the contract for allow this limitation of the number of cores (I don't have any future buys of Oracle products in the sight).

If there isn't other possibility I will use zones with Solaris, but I don't like this path because we want to migrate from
Solaris, and we have to format the boot disks of 2 Terabytes with 1 Terabyte of capacity (Solaris can only boot from disk
up to 1 Terabyte).
Re: How to limit number of cores for license a Database Oracle? [message #568034 is a reply to message #568031] Tue, 09 October 2012 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You have to know that anyway your Oracle sales rep is the one with the final word.
So pick up your poison.

Regards
Michel
Re: How to limit number of cores for license a Database Oracle? [message #568039 is a reply to message #568034] Tue, 09 October 2012 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joseyluis
Michel: Please if you can't provide any help don't reply to this.

I have searching in this forums and I have seen several boring posts from you saying the same: talk with your rep sales, without
giving any help to user that makes the question.

After of listneing stupid answers from sales people from Oracle: zones isn't a valid method for limit cpus, you need enterprise edition
for do backups with RMAN, I take their answers with a grain of salt.

Michel: can give me any help beside telling me about ask your rep sales, and don't ask anymore.

And stop telling that sales rep has the final word. If it isn't written and signed in a contract isn't valid. From the OLSA:

"This agreement and ordering documents may not be modified and the rights and
restrictions may not be altered or waived except in a writing signed or accepted online through the Oracle Store by
authorized representatives of you and of Oracle. Any notice required under this agreement shall be provided to the other
party in writing."

Only OLSA and signed documents are the only reference.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 October 2012 04:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to limit number of cores for license a Database Oracle? [message #568054 is a reply to message #568039] Tue, 09 October 2012 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes, and with who you will sign the document?
In addition, this answers your question, you can negociate anything with Oracle not with us.
Take a moment to think about it: any answer given in a forum about the Oracle contract YOU can negociate is irrelevant. But I'm too stupid to make you understand this.

Regards
Michel
Re: How to limit number of cores for license a Database Oracle? [message #568055 is a reply to message #568054] Tue, 09 October 2012 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joseyluis
Other time, you don't give any help. That I have to sign a contract with him, I know it, but it is very different to ask him something, and that he answers you via phone/email as one can infere of your e-mail

I ask in the forum, because other people could be in the same situation in the past, and they can give other opinions of other sales people, and perhaps can say me
if Oracle can sign a agreement in this subject.

The only alternative that you gave to everyone that do a question about licensing is: talk with your oracle sales rep and blindly believe anything that he tells you. (Oracle sales people aren't famous by knowledege of licensing. They are known by ther interest of any product that you don't need).
Re: How to limit number of cores for license a Database Oracle? [message #568059 is a reply to message #568055] Tue, 09 October 2012 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
blindly believe anything that he tells you

This is not what I have said.

Regards
Michel
Re: How to limit number of cores for license a Database Oracle? [message #568301 is a reply to message #568059] Wed, 10 October 2012 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
A possible solution is to switch some of the cores off in the BIOS.
Re: How to limit number of cores for license a Database Oracle? [message #568321 is a reply to message #568301] Wed, 10 October 2012 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flyby
Won't help, Oracle is quite picky about it. As processors=sockets. Currently going the OVM route in case we need to limit the amount of cores
Re: How to limit number of cores for license a Database Oracle? [message #568322 is a reply to message #568321] Wed, 10 October 2012 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Flyby wrote on Wed, 10 October 2012 21:31
Won't help, Oracle is quite picky about it. As processors=sockets. Currently going the OVM route in case we need to limit the amount of cores

I'm not a licensing expert, but as far as I understand Enterprise Edition is based on cores, while Standard Edition is based on sockets. I know the OP is using EE, as he indicated a 0.5 multiplexing factor in his first post.

Anyway, as you probably use SE, you will have to switch off the equivalent cores of a socket at a time.
Re: How to limit number of cores for license a Database Oracle? [message #568324 is a reply to message #568321] Wed, 10 October 2012 15:06 Go to previous message
John Watson
Switching off the cores must be legal. That is how Oracle has managed to create that recently announced Exadata X3 one eighth rack: it is the same hardware as a quarter rack, but half the cores disabled.
I wonder why they've done this - I hope it is a move towards licensing the Exadata software on third party hardware.
Previous Topic: Steps to create an account in metalink
Next Topic: Use Cases
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:10:41 CDT 2024