Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Restore db ? (11g Solaris)
Restore db ? [message #587485] Sun, 16 June 2013 05:50 Go to next message
OptimusPrime85
Hi,

I was wondering if any clever guys could help me. I need to restore a backup of database A from into Database B. Both have the same names. Database B is already up and running.

I have a full rman backup of Database A ( it was taken with a recovery catalog which I dont have access to now as it was deleted ). I just have the full backup pieces including the control files.

Is it possible to recover this database into Database B from this stand point.

I was thinking

2. Shutdown database B

3. Mount database B. It has same name as Database A.

4. With RMAN restore controlfile. Will a new controlfile be created from the backup directory I have the rman pieces for the full backup in ?

Any guy willing to help a lady in distress Smile Im not a dba and this has been dropped on me by my manager. The above is just stuff Ive read so far.

Re: Restore db ? [message #587488 is a reply to message #587485] Sun, 16 June 2013 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
1. You do not restore a database into another one. You restore a database itself.
2. If you want to embed A tablespaces into B database, you can first restore A, then export new A tablespaces and import them into B using transportable tablespaces method

All these steps are described in details in Database Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide.

Regards
Michel
Re: Restore db ? [message #587492 is a reply to message #587488] Sun, 16 June 2013 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OptimusPrime85
Ill have a look through it. I did not want to restore the database backup back into itself. I wanted to restore database A backup ( Database A is gone ) over the top of database B that has the same SIDS as Database A but on another server. I just wanted to know if possible from full rman backup files that I have of database A. Thats all I have.
Re: Restore db ? [message #587508 is a reply to message #587492] Sun, 16 June 2013 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
. I wanted to restore database A backup ( Database A is gone ) over the top of database B

I told you this is not possible, forget it.

I told you the way to achieve the same result with what you have:
- restore the old database in the new server (changing the name as you already use the same name)
- transport the tablespaces between the two.

Regards
Michel
Re: Restore db ? [message #587509 is a reply to message #587492] Sun, 16 June 2013 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
If you can connect to neither the target (ie, the source) database nor the recovery catalog, is is the routine to follow,
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmdupdb.htm#sthref1821
Re: Restore db ? [message #587667 is a reply to message #587492] Mon, 17 June 2013 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hkchital
>I wanted to restore database A backup ( Database A is gone ) over the top of database B that has the same SIDS as Database A but on another server.

DROP DATABASE B

RESTORE DATABASE A using the same SID on the same server

The database name doesn't have to match the SID. When you say "Database B has the same SID as Database A" you are already implying that, in the case of Database B the SID is not "B" but some other name "XYZ". Similarly, you can restore Database "A" with SID "XYZ"
Oracle doesn't care if the SID doesn't match the DB_NAME.

Logically, it makes sense to have the same name for SID and DB_NAME. It's just not mandatory.

Many sites restore Production databases to Test environments and then rename the restored database to "Test".

Hemant K Chitale
Re: Restore db ? [message #587675 is a reply to message #587667] Tue, 18 June 2013 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
DROP DATABASE B

Who say she wants to drop this database?
She explicitly said the opposite: "I did not want to restore the database backup back into itself. I wanted to restore database A backup [...] over the top of database B"

Regards
Michel
Re: Restore db ? [message #587678 is a reply to message #587675] Tue, 18 June 2013 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hkchital
And what does "over the top of Database B" mean in any language ? It should mean "overwrite Database B". Oracle doesn't allow you to overwrite a database but it allows you to drop a database.

Hemant K Chitale
Re: Restore db ? [message #587681 is a reply to message #587678] Tue, 18 June 2013 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Do you read the other posts before giving some answers? I doubt.

Regards
Michel
Re: Restore db ? [message #587701 is a reply to message #587681] Tue, 18 June 2013 03:13 Go to previous message
hkchital
Your interpretation of the requirement : "I wanted to restore database A backup ( Database A is gone ) over the top of database B that has the same SIDS as Database A but on another server." seems to differ from my interpretation.

Hemant K Chitale
Previous Topic: simulate recovery
Next Topic: Droping tablespace including contents and datafiles, will delete Rman contents also?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:57:44 CDT 2024