Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » RMAN takes time to complete the backup but previously it was fine (10gR2)
RMAN takes time to complete the backup but previously it was fine [message #593348] Thu, 15 August 2013 13:29 Go to next message
dba707
My Database is 10gR2.

RMAN takes time to complete the backup but previously it was fine and I believed that because of the good amount of data added in last few weeks.

How can I decrease the time to completion the rman backup?
I am doing a complete backup once a week and everyday I do a incremental backup.
I want to tune rman backup.

What I can consider about above tuning problem.

Note: When rman backup started there are same jobs running same as last few weeks.

Thanks in advance.
Ibrahim
Re: RMAN takes time to complete the backup but previously it was fine [message #593354 is a reply to message #593348] Thu, 15 August 2013 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
One obvious approach is to parallelize the backup. If you have Enterprise Edition licences, launch multiple channels. If you are working with Standard Edition, launch multiple RMAN jobs and distribute the files between them.
Compressing the backup may also improve performance, but it too may have licensing implications.
Re: RMAN takes time to complete the backup but previously it was fine [message #593432 is a reply to message #593354] Fri, 16 August 2013 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dba707
Hi John,
Thanks for your quick reply. I have Enterprise Edition licenses and I will try all options, witch you have mentioned in your reply. I will post the result for you soon.

Thanks.
Ibrahim
Re: RMAN takes time to complete the backup but previously it was fine [message #593452 is a reply to message #593432] Fri, 16 August 2013 12:41 Go to previous message
LKBrwn_DBA
Adding to Mr Watson's fine suggestions, you could also enable "block change tracking".

[Updated on: Fri, 16 August 2013 12:43] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Restore with archive log only
Next Topic: unrecognised punctuation symbol
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:58:31 CDT 2024