Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » APEX workspace import (4.1.1)
APEX workspace import [message #594751] Mon, 02 September 2013 07:12 Go to next message
John Watson
I should begin by saying that I do not know a lot about APEX, and have never tried to do this before. In preparation, I've installed the correct release of APEX and configured an embedded listener and I can connect no problem.
I need to import an APEX application, and have been given an application export file, about 11M. I can't run the file with SQL*Plus, because it fails with this,
@c:\f999.sql
APPLICATION 999 - 999 Application (8/06)
Set Credentials...
Check Compatibility...
Set Application ID...
begin
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02291: integrity constraint (APEX_040100.WWV_FLOWS_FK) violated - parent 
key not found 
ORA-06512: at "APEX_040100.WWV_FLOW_API", line 679 
ORA-06512: at line 3 
(I've changed the filename and Application ID) which I think is the issue in MOS note 949429.1. If I read that note correctly, the import through SQL*Plus fails because there is no workspace into which to import the application. To get around this, the first time an application is imported, you have to import through APEX itself which gives a prompt to create a workspace. That is what I'm trying to do.

Navigating from the APEX home page through the Manage Workspaces tab and the Import Workspace link, I have imported the file I was given. It did upload, but gave me a warning:
"The export file has been imported but is not a valid workspace export"
and when I attempt to install it, it fails with "File is not a valid workspace export file".
So I assume that there is something wrong with the file! I can't ask for another copy (it is a holiday in the US today, which is where the file comes from) so please can someone take a look at the first few lines of the file and tell me if it looks OK? I'll attach a text file with some lines from the top and lines from the bottom.

And of course any other suggestions will be welcome.
Thank you for any insight.

--
update: removed the attachment.

[Updated on: Mon, 02 September 2013 09:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: APEX workspace import [message #594754 is a reply to message #594751] Mon, 02 September 2013 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Navigating from the APEX home page through the Manage Workspaces tab ...

Does it mean that you are trying to import it as an Apex admin? If so, try something else (as you file seems to be an application export, not workspace). I'll try to explain it step by step (and hope I won't miss something).
  • in SQL*Plus, create Oracle user that contains tables, procedures, etc.
  • as Apex admin, create a workspace. Reuse existing schema (created in a previous step) and specify its name
  • as Apex admin, create a developer ("Manage developers and users"). Set it to use previously created workspace. That user doesn't have to be an administrator, but must be a developer
  • log off from Apex admin, log on as a developer created in a previous step
  • enter Application Builder and click the "Import" button
  • follow the wizard - choose import file (you don't have to change anything, nor its filename, not the ID); I hope it will be imported successfully. When it comes to "Install application", select its schema and (optionally) change application ID. Click the "Install" button and hope for the best

What is the outcome of the above walkthrough?
Re: APEX workspace import [message #594756 is a reply to message #594754] Mon, 02 September 2013 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
It has worked. Thank you, LittleFoot, I owe you.

(I have learnt rather more today than I wanted to learn.)
Re: APEX workspace import [message #594783 is a reply to message #594756] Tue, 03 September 2013 00:06 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I'm glad you did it!

(How much did you plan to learn that day? How do you measure it? /forum/fa/917/0/ )
Previous Topic: apex full text custom search
Next Topic: Apex autocomplete for text search
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:44:10 CDT 2024