Home » Other » Client Tools » Garbled foreign text in Oracle SQL Developer (Oracle 11g XE )
Garbled foreign text in Oracle SQL Developer [message #624938] Mon, 29 September 2014 02:04 Go to next message
Eric Langager
Greetings,

I have installed Oracle 11g XE on my Windows 7 laptop. The problem is that when I try to do select statements from either PL/SQL Developer or Oracle SQL Developer, Chinese and Japanese text are garbled. Interestingly, if I export to a SQL script file, Oracle SQL Developer will create them correctly, but PL/SQL Developer garbles the text there, too. I should note that SQL Plus is NOT affected by any of this. Text always appears normally when I do select statements in SQL Plus. So obviously the text is being stored correctly in the database. It is clearly a client issue.

I have been told that I need to edit the language parameter in the registry. The current setting is AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252. The tech guy for PL/SQL Developer told me to change it to AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8. But when I did that, it was garbled even in SQL Plus. I had to do a system restore to get it back. My situation now is as follows.

1. I use SQL Plus for all DML stuff. No problems.
2. I use Oracle SQL Developer to back up my database. It creates correct SQL inserts. But I cannot use it as a display tool. SQL Worksheet garbles foreign text.
3. I can use PL/SQL Developer for DDL stuff, but it is pretty much useless for anything else (unless I am working with tables that do not have Chinese or Japanese text).

I should note that I changed the system locale to Simplified Chinese so that I could run non-unicode software in that language. But my operating system is English language Windows 7.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Eric Langager

1 select * from nls_database_parameters
2* where parameter like '%CHARACTERSET%'
SQL> /

PARAMETER VALUE
------------------------- ---------------
NLS_CHARACTERSET AL32UTF8
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET AL16UTF16
Re: Garbled foreign text in Oracle SQL Developer [message #624947 is a reply to message #624938] Mon, 29 September 2014 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
Seems like an issue with NLS_LANG.

In Windows, make sure your NLS_LANG in environmental variable is set to appropriate value. The format is :

[NLS_LANGUAGE]_[NLS_TERRITORY].[NLS_CHARACTERSET]

Re: Garbled foreign text in Oracle SQL Developer [message #624951 is a reply to message #624938] Mon, 29 September 2014 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thatjeffsmith

Make sure the editor display font supports the character set you're trying to display.
Re: Garbled foreign text in Oracle SQL Developer [message #625138 is a reply to message #624947] Wed, 01 October 2014 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Langager
Actually the NLS parameters are not related to my problem. The NLS parameters are designed to govern how error messages and so on are displayed. If you were using a Chinese computer and wanted the error messages to appear in English, you could do that by setting the NLS language parameter. For example, several years ago, I was teaching some Chinese students, and gave them a sample script that inserted some dates in a table. The script would crash on their computers until I showed them how to set the NLS date language to English.

My current problem is not related to this. My problem has to do with how my own data is displayed. It appears normally in the default SQL Plus utility without setting the NLS parameter (or anything else) But if I use a different client such as PL/SQL Developer or Oracle SQL Developer, the text is garbled.
Re: Garbled foreign text in Oracle SQL Developer [message #625139 is a reply to message #624951] Wed, 01 October 2014 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Langager
I don't think the fonts are the issue in this case. Normally, the default font settings in PL/SQL Developer or Oracle SQL Developer display foreign text correctly.
Re: Garbled foreign text in Oracle SQL Developer [message #625140 is a reply to message #625139] Wed, 01 October 2014 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
So you claim that you tried all of the above suggestions, and none of them have worked?
Re: Garbled foreign text in Oracle SQL Developer [message #625143 is a reply to message #625140] Wed, 01 October 2014 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Langager
That's correct. I also tried editing the registry. The thing I don't understand is that my settings were exactly the same when was handling the same data with Oracle9i installed on Windows XP. Now I have Oracle 11g XE on Windows 7. Could be something with the Win 7 operating system. I don't know. But the data itself is not corrupt, because it appears normally as long as I do select statements in SQL Plus using the default command window.
Re: Garbled foreign text in Oracle SQL Developer [message #625144 is a reply to message #625143] Wed, 01 October 2014 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
which Edition of Windows 7?
Re: Garbled foreign text in Oracle SQL Developer [message #625288 is a reply to message #625144] Fri, 03 October 2014 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Langager
It's Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (32 bit). I got it here in China, so it could be there is a problem with it. But what puzzles me is that character settings for Oracle are exactly the same on this machine as what I had on my old XP version.
Re: Garbled foreign text in Oracle SQL Developer [message #625289 is a reply to message #625288] Fri, 03 October 2014 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

which Edition of Windows 7 is on the PC?????????
Oracle DB is NOT supported on either HOME or Starter Editions.
Re: Garbled foreign text in Oracle SQL Developer [message #625290 is a reply to message #625289] Fri, 03 October 2014 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Langager
Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention that it is the Professional version. I usually don't think about that part because I would never install anything but the professional version. So Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1.
Re: Garbled foreign text in Oracle SQL Developer [message #625395 is a reply to message #625139] Tue, 07 October 2014 10:40 Go to previous message
thatjeffsmith

So what font are you using in SQL Developer?
Previous Topic: How to Create user name and password after installation of oracle forms 6i
Next Topic: How to find the List of Queries from the History used before a Day
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:21:00 CDT 2024