Home » Infrastructure » Unix » All pre-req checks failing
All pre-req checks failing [message #627529] Wed, 12 November 2014 10:53 Go to next message
11gOP
I'm trying to install oracle on AIX 6.1 and I've got to a point where it does a pre-req check. Interestingly they ALL fail - including ones where they should definitely have passed (see the below examples). I've attached the log generated. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Quote:

INFO: Physical Memory: This is a prerequisite condition to test whether the system has at least 1GB (1048576.0KB) of total physical memory.
INFO: Severity:IGNORABLE
INFO: OverallStatus:OPERATION_FAILED

It has 16GB.
# lsattr -El sys0 | grep realmem
realmem         15859712                             Amount of usable physical memory in Kbytes        False
#

Quote:

INFO: User Existence: oracle: This is a prerequisite condition to test whether user "oracle" exists on the system.
INFO: Severity:CRITICAL

# cat /etc/passwd | grep "oracle"
oracle:*:209:205::/home/oracle:/usr/bin/ksh
oracle:!:210:205::/home/oracle:/usr/bin/ksh
#

Quote:

INFO: Kernel64Bit: AIX specific check of Kernel running in 64-bit mode
INFO: Severity:CRITICAL
INFO: -----------------------------------------------

# getconf KERNEL_BITMODE
#

I suspected the oracle user the installer was running under didn't have sufficient permissions to do the checks but even after making it an admin user and adding it to the system group there's no difference in the output.
                    Change / Show Characteristics of a User

Type or select values in entry fields.
Press Enter AFTER making all desired changes.

[TOP]                                                   [Entry Fields]
* User NAME                                           oracle
  User ID                                            [210]                    #
  ADMINISTRATIVE USER?                                true                   +
  Primary GROUP                                      [oinstall]              +
  Group SET                                          [oinstall,system,dba]   +
  ADMINISTRATIVE GROUPS                              [system]                +
  ROLES                                              []                      +
  Another user can SU TO USER?                        true                   +
  SU GROUPS                                          [ALL]                   +
  HOME directory                                     [/home/oracle]
  Initial PROGRAM                                    [/usr/bin/ksh]
  User INFORMATION                                   []
  EXPIRATION date (MMDDhhmmyy)                       [0]
[MORE...56]
Re: All pre-req checks failing [message #627531 is a reply to message #627529] Wed, 12 November 2014 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e48740/toc.htm
Re: All pre-req checks failing [message #627536 is a reply to message #627529] Wed, 12 November 2014 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Post your questions in Unix forum.
Don't you see we moved all of them there?

Re: All pre-req checks failing [message #627540 is a reply to message #627536] Wed, 12 November 2014 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
11gOP
Quote:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e48740/toc.htm

Thanks but I've already read through the longest and most complicated quick start guide I've ever seen and the installation guide. I'm currently looking to see what I may have missed but can't think of anything that would cause all the checks to fail. If I'd missed a few preparatory steps then it'd make sense to get some errors but not this many. Any hints to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, I've already spent days trying to get this setup. Sad

Quote:
Post your questions in Unix forum.

OK, I'll post here from now on, just though the section named, 'Oracle RDBMS Database Server' would be more relevant.
Re: All pre-req checks failing [message #627544 is a reply to message #627540] Wed, 12 November 2014 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

No, "Oracle Installation, Configuration, Troubleshooting and Scripting on Unix platforms" is the correct one, don't you think?

Re: All pre-req checks failing [message #627550 is a reply to message #627544] Wed, 12 November 2014 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
post results from OS commands below

env | sort
ls -ltr $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/
Re: All pre-req checks failing [message #627621 is a reply to message #627550] Thu, 13 November 2014 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
11gOP
Quote:
post results from OS commands below

env | sort
ls -ltr $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/

Here you go.
# env | sort
AUTHSTATE=compat
A__z=! LOGNAME
CLCMD_PASSTHRU=1
HOME=/
LANG=en_GB
LC__FASTMSG=true
LOCPATH=/usr/lib/nls/loc
LOGIN=root
LOGNAME=root
MAILMSG=[YOU HAVE NEW MAIL]
MAIL=/usr/spool/mail/root
NLSPATH=/usr/lib/nls/msg/%L/%N:/usr/lib/nls/msg/en_US/%N:/usr/lib/nls/msg/%L/%N.cat:/usr/lib/nls/msg/en_US/%N.cat
ODMDIR=/etc/objrepos
PATH=/usr/bin:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/bin/X11:/sbin:/usr/java5/jre/bin:/usr/java5/bin
PWD=/
SHELL=/usr/bin/ksh
SSH_CLIENT=192.9.200.23 56248 22
SSH_CONNECTION=192.9.200.23 56248 192.9.200.46 22
SSH_TTY=/dev/pts/1
TERM=xterm
TZ=CST6CDT
USER=root
_=/usr/bin/env
#

# ls -ltr $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/
ls: 0653-341 The file /dbs/ does not exist.
# ls -ltr $ORACLE_HOME/dba
ls: 0653-341 The file /dba does not exist.
#

I found it was missing the IZ41855 APAR which is listed as a requirement. I'm trying to install this now.
Re: All pre-req checks failing [message #627628 is a reply to message #627621] Thu, 13 November 2014 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>LOGIN=root
>LOGNAME=root

NEVER, Ever, never use "root" when dealing with Oracle DB; except when dbca directs your to run 1 or more scripts!
Re: All pre-req checks failing [message #627629 is a reply to message #627628] Thu, 13 November 2014 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
11gOP
Quote:
NEVER, Ever, never use "root" when dealing with Oracle DB; except when dbca directs your to run 1 or more scripts!

Ah, wasn't aware of that, thanks for the warning. I re-ran the commands as the oracle user but got the same output (only the user names were different).

Would you have expected the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory to have been created at this stage?
Re: All pre-req checks failing [message #627630 is a reply to message #627629] Thu, 13 November 2014 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Would you have expected the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory to have been created at this stage?

I have no idea at what stage your system is at.

I do know that thousands upon thousands of different folks have read & followed the Installation Guide & have successfully installed Oracle software & DB.
are you sure that you have a supported version of Oracle to run on AIX 6?
Re: All pre-req checks failing [message #627636 is a reply to message #627630] Thu, 13 November 2014 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Ah, wasn't aware of that, thanks for the warning. I re-ran the commands as the oracle user but got the same output
but root may have created files or directories that "oracle" user can not access.

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.
Re: All pre-req checks failing [message #627691 is a reply to message #627529] Fri, 14 November 2014 08:39 Go to previous message
11gOP
I eventually found that this was due to not enough files in the install directory having the execute permission set. The install guide only mentioned the .oui file and the unzip binary.

Previous Topic: Merging Multiple CSV Files into One with One Header
Next Topic: How to use unix cell scripting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:39:04 CDT 2024