Home » Other » General » oracle upgradation (oracle forms/reports 4.5)
oracle upgradation [message #634082] Wed, 04 March 2015 03:40 Go to next message
saadnsiddiqui
My company have 7 branches and 23 distributors is different cities. We are clients of different multinational and national base companies.

Our core application is developed into oracle forms 4.5 using database 9i, since 2002. This is a distributed application every branch is using its own application/database and every next day they send us their data which we load into our head office module.

Requirements;

I want to change/convert my distributed application into centralized system mean a web based application, every branch user will access a centralized application/database.
Our principals required our sales data on daily basis in different formats like pdf, excel etc...

I want to know about oracle products, what products we required to fulfill our requirements, their cost and details?

Furthermore, is there any utility which convert oracle reports data into excel?
Re: oracle upgradation [message #634083 is a reply to message #634082] Wed, 04 March 2015 04:11 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
If your Forms version was *at least* 6i, you could even deploy that version to web. With 4.5, you have no other option but do the upgrade. Now, the most recent Forms version is 11g. Previous ones are desupported (can't tell for sure for 10g, but 6i is really antique now, although many people still use it). It means that you'd first have to upgrade from 4.5 to 6i, and then from 6i to 11g. That is a lot of job to do, mostly manually. Many commands that worked in 4.5 are obsolete and simply won't work in higher Forms versions.

There's a company which provides support (have a look at Pitss). I believe it costs money, but it is up to you whether you'll do it manually (read: very, very slowly) or - hopefully - much faster and easier (and pay their expenses). I've never used their product so I don't know whether it really works and how, but - they say they are Gold Oracle partner, so I presume that they are OK.

P.S. Forgot about reports' output to Excel: the most recent Reports versions support SPREADSHEET as output destination, so you'll probably solve that problem with it.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 March 2015 04:12]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Non-deterministic query
Next Topic: OLTP & OLAP Desgin question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:01:03 CDT 2024