Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » setup consolidation (11g/Solaris)
setup consolidation [message #643959] Fri, 23 October 2015 12:41 Go to next message
it_me24
Hello Everyone:

Appreciate your suggestions on the below requirement:

We are in a process of database server consolidation and requirement is to migrate some of our databases to one set of servers.
Idea is to allocate all the resources[CPU/Memory/Storage] held by current servers to one set of servers, to ease out the managibility.

Following are the current setup details:

We have got a requirement to consolidate 7 of our production databases in one set of servers.
At the moment these databases are on a seperate hosts.
All these databases are on 2 node RAC and ASM .
Database and Grid are on oracle 11.2.0.3.
OS is Solaris.

Target Setup would be 3 node RAC/ASM hosting all these 7 databases.

Looking for your expert approach how to go about this.

Thanks.
Re: setup consolidation [message #643960 is a reply to message #643959] Fri, 23 October 2015 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Idea is to allocate all the resources[CPU/Memory/Storage] held by current servers to one set of servers, to ease out the managibility.
This is done at OS level & has nothing to do with Oracle.

>Looking for your expert approach how to go about this.
I would do it one database at a time.

Re: setup consolidation [message #643961 is a reply to message #643960] Fri, 23 October 2015 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

... And I would merge the databases as far as possible.

Re: setup consolidation [message #643967 is a reply to message #643959] Sat, 24 October 2015 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Is upgrade a possibility? The 12.x Multitenant option is designed for this. It is rather expensive, but perhaps you could motivate its use.
Re: setup consolidation [message #644076 is a reply to message #643959] Tue, 27 October 2015 21:11 Go to previous message
trantuananh24hg
it_me24 wrote on Fri, 23 October 2015 17:41
Hello Everyone:

Appreciate your suggestions on the below requirement:

We are in a process of database server consolidation and requirement is to migrate some of our databases to one set of servers.
Idea is to allocate all the resources[CPU/Memory/Storage] held by current servers to one set of servers, to ease out the managibility.

What are those servers type? Independency or Blade?
If those servers are Mxxxx series, consideration of deviced domain.
If those server are Sparc T-x, you should not allocate into many zone, even use container from Solaris 11.
If those servers are Blade, it is easiler management from Console or https manager enterprise.

What is the storage type? San, Peer Storage to Server, Virtualization?

Quote:

Following are the current setup details:

We have got a requirement to consolidate 7 of our production databases in one set of servers.
At the moment these databases are on a seperate hosts.
All these databases are on 2 node RAC and ASM .
Database and Grid are on oracle 11.2.0.3.
OS is Solaris.

Target Setup would be 3 node RAC/ASM hosting all these 7 databases.

Looking for your expert approach how to go about this.

Thanks.

What is type of Solaris? Sparc or x86_64? The Solaris should use ZFS, instead of national UFS, so long too hard to seperate array.

I were in your situation, 3 years ago. Due to the property of each database, less hard ware.

I think, you should consider 3 options:

- The best choice, of course, put all of seperate into one of database.
- The second choice, consideration of active-passive RAC. Example, 1 instance active in one node, the second is in passive in the other node.
- The 3rd choice, using Data-Guard instead of RAC.

Regards!
Previous Topic: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
Next Topic: Need help in migrating Oracle database from windows 2003 server to 2012 server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:12:23 CDT 2024