Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Oracle SQL performance analysis (oracle 12c)
Oracle SQL performance analysis [message #647524] Sun, 31 January 2016 13:03 Go to next message
gorants
Hi experts,

I have a scenario,where the query execution is taking more time. here i am not sure if the issue is with bad query or amount of data we have in the DB.

the sql query involves accessing multiple tables and these tables have 1 million rows.

what are the options i have to debug the issue, how to improve the query execution results

can we use query execution plan to see if there are any issues with query? what factors in query execution plan tells if the query has issue.

thanks
Re: Oracle SQL performance analysis [message #647525 is a reply to message #647524] Sun, 31 January 2016 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/84315/
Re: Oracle SQL performance analysis [message #647599 is a reply to message #647525] Wed, 03 February 2016 20:04 Go to previous message
Kevin Meade
Well, what can we say. Your question is very high level "teach me how to improve query performance?". How many times have we had this and each time then answer is the same... how do you teach people the intricacies of performance in three paragraphs?

I hate to use this site to push my own material, but I have to say, buy my book and learn how. It took me 30 years to be able to write the book; you can read it in about 30 hours (it is not a difficult read, but it is not a romance novel, you will need to pay attention and concentrate).

In fairness, I realize this seems self serving, so here are some items to get you started before you decide to spend any money. I have provided three documents for you.

1. the first chapter of the book.  This will let you decide if the book is something you are interested in before you spend any money on it.
2. the scripts from the book.  For those who cannot afford the book (now also available on Kindle), the scripts are free for you to use and share.
3. an organizational tool that will help you record a tuning session so that you can explain to others what you did in your SQL Tuning Analysis.

All the above are free and you can share them with others for free too.

As you can see, learning about performance, and how to tune SQL in particular, has no fast and easy path. Like any set of skills you have to work at learning them. This book reduces 30 years of tuning experience into 30 hours of effort on your part to get started. Not a bad tradeoff for 35$ (10$ if you get the Kindle version). Good Luck. Kevin Meade
Previous Topic: Tune query for Sum function
Next Topic: Oracle ROWID RANGE SCAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:19:04 CDT 2024