Home » Other » General » DB 12.2 New Features Guide
DB 12.2 New Features Guide [message #656557] Tue, 11 October 2016 05:30 Go to next message
John Watson
Here it is,
http://docs.oracle.com/cloud/latest/exadataexpress-cloud/CSDBF/toc.htm

[Edit MC: modify topic type to announcement]

[Updated on: Tue, 11 October 2016 11:31] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: DB 12.2 New Features Guide [message #657527 is a reply to message #656557] Sun, 13 November 2016 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

The complete 12.2 documentation is now available at http://docs.oracle.com/database/122/index.html
with new features at http://docs.oracle.com/database/122/NEWFT

My favorites (not sorted):

For DBA:
  • Subset of PDB Standby
  • Data Guard Broker PDB Migration or Failover
  • Automatically Synchronize Password Files in Oracle Data Guard Configurations
  • Multi-Instance Redo Apply
  • Restarting Redefinition From Failure, Rolling Back Redefinition and Redefinition Progress Monitoring
  • New online operations: Conversion of a Nonpartitioned Table to a Partitioned Table, SPLIT Partition and Subpartition, Table Move
  • Table Creation for Partition Exchange: CREATE TABLE x FOR EXCHANGE WITH TABLE y;
  • Local TEMP Tablespaces
  • Both Read/Write and Read-Only Instances
  • Auto-List Partitioning, Multi-Column List Partitioning and Read-Only Partitions
  • I/O Rate Limits and Memory Resource Management for PDBs
  • Flashback PDB
  • Near Zero Downtime PDB Relocation
  • Tracking Index Usage with V$INDEX_USAGE_INFO
  • Cluster Resource Activity Log
  • Fault-Tolerant Database Services
  • TDE Tablespace Live Conversion
  • Fully Encrypted Database
  • Automatic Locking of Inactive User Accounts
For application development:
  • CAST Function With Error Handling and Function VALIDATE_CONVERSION
  • New PL/SQL Pragma to Mark an Item as Deprecated
  • ON OVERFLOW clause of LISTAGG
  • DBMS_PLSQL_CODE_COVERAGE Package
  • Approximate Query Processing
  • Column-Level Collation and Case-Insensitive Database
  • Real-Time Materialized Views and Statement-Level Refresh
To notice:
  • AL32UTF8 As the Default Database Character Set
  • Unicode 7.0 Support
  • JSON Improvements
  • Preserving Application Connections to An Active Data Guard Standby During Role Changes (paying option)
  • JDBC Driver Support for Fast Application Notification
  • Support for PDBs with Different Character Sets, Time Zone File Versions, and Database Time Zones in a CDB
  • Scheduler: In-Memory Jobs
  • Real Application Security enhancements
  • New OS role: SYSRAC
  • Requiring Strong Password Verifiers by Default
And many improvements in Text, Spatial, Application Express, EM, ACFS or In-memory DB I can't appreciate knowing nothing about them.

Re: DB 12.2 New Features Guide [message #657529 is a reply to message #657527] Sun, 13 November 2016 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I would add:

Table move, ALTER TABLE ... MOVE ONLINE UPDATE INDEXES
Online conversion of nonpartitioned to partitioned table, ALTER TABLE ... MODIFY PARTITION BY ...

I can't make the MV real time refresh with ENABLE ON QUERY COMPUTATION work, I have TAR open on it that is going nowhere.

--re-read MC's post, he had already mentioned the two features I listed.

[Updated on: Sun, 13 November 2016 05:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: DB 12.2 New Features Guide [message #657567 is a reply to message #657527] Mon, 14 November 2016 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
I like that identifiers can now be up to 128 bytes. Now, I am not going to go back and change object or variable names, but it's nice to know I can now use it.
Re: DB 12.2 New Features Guide [message #657568 is a reply to message #657567] Mon, 14 November 2016 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Well, it's nice and not, depends on how it is used.
With 30 bytes, I already saw table and column names with the same first 20 or more characters.
If now we have table and/or columns names with the same first 100 characters the selected columns and lines would be far larger and queries far more unreadable. Just have a look at Java classes to have a slight idea:
select name from dba_java_classes where length(name) > 100 order by 1;
On my system, I have 4 classes starting with 'com/sun/org/apache/xml/internal/security/algorithms/implementations/IntegrityHmac$IntegrityHmac' and 5 starting with 'com/sun/org/apache/xml/internal/security/algorithms/implementations/SignatureBaseRSA$SignatureR' (both 95 characters).

Re: DB 12.2 New Features Guide [message #657569 is a reply to message #657568] Mon, 14 November 2016 13:30 Go to previous message
joy_division
Yes, you are totally right, and I guess I was just being lazy. Sometimes I use a long identifier, not counting the characters, just waiting for Oracle to tell me it's too long, and then I make it shorter. It would help in that case.
Previous Topic: Oracle SE2 Licensing
Next Topic: Puzzle menu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:37:20 CDT 2024