Home » Other » General » None Server oracle solutions (Weblogic 12.2.3,window7)
None Server oracle solutions [message #675910] Sun, 28 April 2019 12:54 Go to next message
kilimanjaro
Hello Oracle Gurus!
Please assist me with your advice.

I have been developing on 6i ever since I got to know oracle. Most of my clients have everything installed ( Databases,Forms etc) on their laptops. And of recently I upgraded from database 10g,11gR2 and now 12C. The OS is Window 7 and 10.

I real see the need to also upgrade from developer 6i to newer supported versions. I decided to recently successfully installĀ  and configure Oracle 12c database,Weblogic 12.2.3.0,and forms and reports 12 .

My problem is,Since all of my clients run the programs from their laptops(Not connected to the server)
and put in mind all the processes of starting (Weblogic,Nodemanger,Form and report server ) from a laptop everyday....Would it make my clients Happy?
What are the consequences to my client's of keep running my developer 6i ?
Has Oracle not thought of where they come from......(Stand alone laptop based solution?????)
Thankx.

Re: None Server oracle solutions [message #675912 is a reply to message #675910] Sun, 28 April 2019 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
Has Oracle not thought of where they come from......(Stand alone laptop based solution?????)
I would not think that such a solution would be financially acceptable to anyone. The minimum NUP licence you can buy for Forms is for ten users, but you would have to buy that for each machine. What you are suggesting just doesn't work in the twenty first century. If you want standalone machines, rewrite it in APEX and run it in an 18c XE database.

[Updated on: Sun, 28 April 2019 18:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: None Server oracle solutions [message #675923 is a reply to message #675910] Mon, 29 April 2019 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
kilimanjaro wrote on Sun, 28 April 2019 13:54
Hello Oracle Gurus!
Please assist me with your advice.

What are the consequences to my client's of keep running my developer 6i ?
Thankx.

Additionally, Forms 6i will no longer work once you move to Oracle 12c release 2.
Re: None Server oracle solutions [message #675926 is a reply to message #675923] Mon, 29 April 2019 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Forms 6i is an old piece of software, but it works. An old database version? Who cares, if it is capable of running your application(s) and handling data your users have. Switching to a higher version just won't work in your case (as you've already been told).

Apex (John suggested) might be a good choice as it is free, as well as XE database. Although it is possible to migrate Forms to Apex, I'm not sure I'd want to do that. Probably depends on application complexity. If there are a few forms, I'd probably rather rewrite it from scratch. If there are many forms, huh, that would be a real problem & perplexity because a) writing everything new is a lot of work, b) migrating that many forms and - possibly - having to fix some issues in many of them is even more work.

Users don't really care about the background. What do they know about IAS, Web Logic, ORDS, embedded listener, client-server and stuff, whether it is Oracle 8.1.7 or 19.1? True, Apex applications are much prettier, but they probably don't enjoy application's beauty but usability.

So ... how about staying on Forms 6i, eh?
Re: None Server oracle solutions [message #675933 is a reply to message #675926] Tue, 30 April 2019 04:13 Go to previous message
cookiemonster
Forms may be running directly on the laptops but don't they still have to connect to server to talk to the DB? Or do they all have person DBs as well?
And if you put everything else on a webserver then you shouldn't have to start it everyday - it should just be left running.
Previous Topic: Information about Oracle License Version.
Next Topic: DB19c available for download for on-prem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Mar 18 21:28:34 CDT 2024