Home » Other » General » Storage Space Requirements in OLAP and OLTP
Storage Space Requirements in OLAP and OLTP [message #680432] Thu, 14 May 2020 01:58 Go to next message
shivambhatele
Hello Everyone, I am learning DBMS and I am confused to understand the difference between OLAP and OLTP in terms of storage space. As of my knowledge, The requirement for storage space is small for OLTP systems and even smaller for those systems with archived historical data. Can anyone know is OLTP is less storage space issue? If someone knows the head to head comparison of both of them, please explain to me.
Re: Storage Space Requirements in OLAP and OLTP [message #680435 is a reply to message #680432] Thu, 14 May 2020 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

OLTP can have so much storage.
Think about an international telephone company, with hundreds of million of clients, which records each call with start time, end time, localization... and must keep them online for a long time for billing or legal reasons.
Same thing for an international bank recording each transaction made with a credit card all around the world.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 May 2020 03:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Storage Space Requirements in OLAP and OLTP [message #680438 is a reply to message #680432] Thu, 14 May 2020 03:32 Go to previous message
John Watson
Some of the biggest databases on the planet would count as OLTP. Think of Amazon, eBay.

When it comes to OLAP, you need to be careful: OLAP is a generic term for non-relational database environments designed for multidimensional queries, and also there is an (expensive) Oracle product named OLAP. I do not know much about either, but I suspect that Oracle OLAP will be de-supported at some point because Uncle Oracle wants to move people to Oracle Analytics (the Essbase OLAP database), preferably in the Oracle Cloud.
--
ps - Welcome to the forum. Please read the OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use code tags and make your code easier to read
Previous Topic: Query about PDB space consumption in XE
Next Topic: How to run oracle xe 19c database GUI on oracle linux 8
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:53:12 CDT 2024