Home » Other » General » Enterprise license (Enterprise Edition, Sun or x86)
Enterprise license [message #684115] Wed, 07 April 2021 09:54 Go to next message
lastchance
Hi All,

We are a non-profit consulting group and looking to bring on a new development project for a government client. We're looking to build on top of the clients current on-premise Oracle Enterprise Edition database and we'd really like to bring a copy of the database into our secure premise network or AWS network for the flexibility of doing the new development work.

What I'm confused about is what licensing is required from Oracle to do this. It looks like all levels need to be licensed, but I have seen that there's no costs for development level installations. Is that still the case even if you don't have any production licenses since these are owned and run by the client? The client indicated their license model only allows them to licenses installs that on their defined networks.

This is potentially a long term project so we're not opposed to purchasing a minimal "production" license if it allows us the larger development foot print we'd like to have. We're also considering just putting the entire effort onto Oracle cloud if it makes more sense.

Thanks,
Doug
Re: Enterprise license [message #684117 is a reply to message #684115] Wed, 07 April 2021 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
ultimately, all licensing questions should be directed to your Oracle sales rep. In the event of an audit (yes, they do happen) you don't want your defense to be "some stranger on the internet said it was OK".

That said, as I recall the 'developer' licensing is only good until your code goes to production. Since you are already working with a database that is in production, I'd think (my opinion only, FWIW) is that you need to pay for a license.

Again, all licensing questions should be directed to your Oracle sales rep
Re: Enterprise license [message #684118 is a reply to message #684115] Wed, 07 April 2021 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
If it is already a production DB, then you can't develop for it without licensing your dev environment. Any chance that you can develop on 18c XE instances? They really are free. If not, the cheapest licence you can buy is a 10 user NUP+ licence, one year term, renew annually. A perpetual licence is five times as much. Do not buy direct from ORacle! They will not give you a discount, whereas a partner (such as the one I work for Smile ) usually will

Or go to the cloud! OCI does let you, in effect, rent licences rather than having to buy them. I would warn you though that there is one heck of a lot to learn to make OCI usable. Or go to a third party and ask them to set it up for you, we've done that for a few clients.

Marketing alert! The company I work for offers a "hosting" service. We own licences, and amortize the costs by sharing them across multiple clients. It's cheap, and you get ME as your dba Smile But depending on your requirements, it may not be suitable.
--
John Watson
Oracle Certified Master DBA
http://skillbuilders.com

Re: Enterprise license [message #684119 is a reply to message #684118] Wed, 07 April 2021 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Forgot one thing: there is the Personal Edition licence. That is only about USD500 but you need one per developer, and only the nominated person is allowed to connect to it.
Re: Enterprise license [message #684120 is a reply to message #684119] Wed, 07 April 2021 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lastchance
Thanks for the quick replies!!

Yes for sure will be going through a sales rep or a vendor and certify the solution, just trying to get an idea what options are out there that Oracle might not suggest (like John's suggestion about per developer).

I should note that the production environment run by the client is fully licensed and if we could do our dev work on their network I think their agreement would cover the licenses for our work as well. And we're not trying to get around it without costs, we're just looking to make sure we're not over buying based on what we're using it for.

We're hoping to do our development work on Enterprise Edition vs personal, mostly just because that's what prod runs on. I'm assuming if we purchased the Personal addition for each developer (about 25) would each named developer need to then run their own local version vs a shared server set-up correct? Depending on the costs it make make sense to only do scratch dev (POC work) on premise using personal edition and do the integration dev work at the client site under their agreement.

Did Oracle used to allow any and all development for no charge? I saw some docs online where that's stated using the OLN download, is that a thing of the past now? Does running on AWS vs on premise have a big net effect on the costs other than the core count / multiplier factor?
Re: Enterprise license [message #685850 is a reply to message #684120] Wed, 06 April 2022 14:43 Go to previous message
FredrikFilipsson
Oracle requires development to be fully licensed (same as production and DR)
Previous Topic: Accessing Oracle DB from Windev Mobile app
Next Topic: ASFU Licensing of Oracle EE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Mar 18 23:21:00 CDT 2024