Home » Other » General » Converting SE to SE2 licenses (Oracle DB Standard Edition)
Converting SE to SE2 licenses [message #684278] Thu, 29 April 2021 19:27 Go to next message
Variant
I know this is a question for Oracle proper, but am curious if any of you have experience.

Will SE2 licenses also cover 12.1.0.1 and older, including 11.x? Or do you need to maintain SE1 licenses as well?
Re: Converting SE to SE2 licenses [message #684284 is a reply to message #684278] Fri, 30 April 2021 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum.
Please read the OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read.

If I remember correctly, there have been no patches for SE1 since 12.1.0.1. It went from premium support straight to sustaining support a few years ago. There was a period when you could convert your SE1 licences to SE2 for only a nominal charge, but that period will be long expired. So there is really no point in maintaining SE1, you'll have to licence the machine(s) for SE2.

I could be wrong, but I think that is the situation. You may be able to negotiate something, possibly a better chance if you go through a partner rather than facing off against Larry by yourself.
Re: Converting SE to SE2 licenses [message #684285 is a reply to message #684284] Fri, 30 April 2021 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Variant
Just looking for "right to use" the older versions (supporting regression type function for customers who are version locked).

Oracle will still convert the licenses, but don't want to lose our right to use the older versions, even if I don't actually need support for them. I'm hoping SE2 licenses confers that.
Re: Converting SE to SE2 licenses [message #684286 is a reply to message #684285] Fri, 30 April 2021 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
If I understood licensing, I would be a salesdroid (and rich) instead of a technician (and broke). However, to the best of my knowledge:

If you are paying for support, that includes the right to upgrade. And if Uncle Oracle is still prepared to convert the licences, that would also be included. Apart from that, as SE1 is in sustaining support all you have is existing patches. If you stop paying for support, you will lose all that but you can continue to use the product.
That having been said, you license a machine. It would be stupid to license the machine for both SE1 and SE2: you need to convert the licences to SE2 and start paying support for that. Then upgrade the databases whenever you wish.
Re: Converting SE to SE2 licenses [message #684287 is a reply to message #684286] Fri, 30 April 2021 11:57 Go to previous message
Variant
Thanks. This would all be sensible for anyone but Oracle. We'll confirm with them obviously but appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.
Previous Topic: Oracle Licensing
Next Topic: System Access tasks assigned for DBAs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:31:02 CDT 2024