Home » Other » General » System Access tasks assigned for DBAs (Others)
System Access tasks assigned for DBAs [message #684547] Sun, 27 June 2021 21:21 Go to next message
reym21

Gurus,

Good day!

As a junior DBA, I just want to ask or validate with you regarding a task which were delegated to us--
this is granting system access to end-users (based on their role/position) to most of our applications.
This is a module in our applications which we called 'Role Maintenance'.

DBAs will implement these so called "role mapping" by selecting/ticking a button or a box where various access/permissions
like "Search", "Modify", "Approve", "Save", "Print", etc. to be given/mapped as a role to specific user.
(Please see sample image).

My question is: was "role mapping/role maintenance" part of the job of Database Administrators?
Or is this for Systems Administrators? Or Application/Dev Team?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

/foru/forum/fa/14531/0/
Re: System Access tasks assigned for DBAs [message #684548 is a reply to message #684547] Mon, 28 June 2021 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Well, someone has to take responsibility for this task. If you don't want to do it (any particular reason why not?) you had better discuss it with your manager.
Re: System Access tasks assigned for DBAs [message #684563 is a reply to message #684547] Tue, 29 June 2021 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
reym21

Sir John,

Thanks for your prompt reply. This is already for discussion, but my manager is looking for basis.
I keep on justifying to my manager that said tasks are not for DBAs: application user role is different from a database user role.

The tone of your answer seems its appropriately for DBAs. Does our old existing standards correct-- that user "role mapping" should be implemented by DBAs?

Regards,
Re: System Access tasks assigned for DBAs [message #684564 is a reply to message #684563] Tue, 29 June 2021 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
Looks to me that this granting of roles/privs is actually something within an application, not fundamental database roles and privs. Seems that what is "Does our old existing standards correct" is strictly a local decision.
Re: System Access tasks assigned for DBAs [message #684565 is a reply to message #684564] Tue, 29 June 2021 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
reym21

Sir,

Thanks for this reply. This gives me a boost!
Yes, you are partly correct since this is within our organization (local decision), but this 20-year old standards was introduced to our organization by then Andersen Consulting (now Accenture)-- that's what I'm only aware of.

Anyway, I attached a sample of our Security and Access Matrix for a newly deployed system.
You will notice that under the Systems Administration module, the creation, removal and updating of "Role and Access Privileges" are assigned to Database Administrator.
/foru/forum/fa/14532/0/

Best regards,
  • Attachment: sa_irsis.jpg
    (Size: 201.88KB, Downloaded 1355 times)
Re: System Access tasks assigned for DBAs [message #684566 is a reply to message #684565] Tue, 29 June 2021 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
Quote:
Sir,

Thanks for this reply. This gives me a boost!
Yes, you are partly correct since this is within our organization (local decision)
No, I am not "partly" correct. I am "correct".

Quote:
, but this 20-year old standards was introduced to our organization by then Andersen Consulting (now Accenture)-- that's what I'm only aware of.
So it's been your company's policy/standard for 20 years. So what? What does the age of the policy have to do with it? Codd's rules for relational databases is older than that, and are still very much valid. I've got underwear older than that.

Quote:
Anyway, I attached a sample of our Security and Access Matrix for a newly deployed system.
I tend to not open links from strangers on the internet.

Quote:
You will notice that under the Systems Administration module, the creation, removal and updating of "Role and Access Privileges" are assigned to Database Administrator.
So what's your point?

If you are expecting someone here to give you - a junior DBA - ammunition to fight what is strictly an organizational decision on work assignments, guess again.
Re: System Access tasks assigned for DBAs [message #684568 is a reply to message #684566] Wed, 30 June 2021 01:26 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Ed
I've got underwear older than that
I guess you wear it regularly and wash it occasionally, which visually helps; yellow goes front, brown goes back. That's, at least, how I do that.
Previous Topic: Converting SE to SE2 licenses
Next Topic: Database synchronization strategy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:28:07 CDT 2024