Home » Other » General » Scripts for Oracle LMS (Licence Management Services) audit
Scripts for Oracle LMS (Licence Management Services) audit [message #685232] Wed, 10 November 2021 04:24 Go to next message
John Watson
I'm trying to find out of there are any tools available to perform some sort of Oracle software usage inventory. The sort of thing one might want to do before an LMS audit.

At the bottom of this article
https://www.oracle.com/corporate/license-management-services/tooling.html
there are ten companies listed who apparently provide this information in a form that Oracle will accept, but I think they are offering a much more sophisticated (and expensive) service than I'm looking for. This article
https://renaps.com/en/blog/Oracle-Licensing-Scripts
claims to have the actual scripts used by LMS available, but I hesitate to go through them: it sounds a bit odd that they can distribute scripts that belong to Oracle.

I won't necessarily have access to CLoud Control. I think I need something that can do some sort of intelligent scanning of (for example) the OUI inventory, db_feature_usage_statistics, dba_registry, anywhere else that might have such information. Any ideas?

Thank you for any insight.
Re: Scripts for Oracle LMS (Licence Management Services) audit [message #685233 is a reply to message #685232] Wed, 10 November 2021 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
I need something that can do some sort of intelligent scanning of (for example) the OUI inventory, db_feature_usage_statistics, dba_registry, anywhere else that might have such information. Any ideas?

You can have a look at McOptions.

Re: Scripts for Oracle LMS (Licence Management Services) audit [message #685234 is a reply to message #685233] Wed, 10 November 2021 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Very nice. Thank you. I'll let you know if we actually use it.
Re: Scripts for Oracle LMS (Licence Management Services) audit [message #685236 is a reply to message #685232] Wed, 17 November 2021 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I just came across this article,

Database Options/Management Packs Usage Reporting for Oracle Databases 11.2 and later (Doc ID 1317265.1)

it provides a nice script options_packs_usage_statistics.sql that reports on feature and option usage.
Re: Scripts for Oracle LMS (Licence Management Services) audit [message #685237 is a reply to message #685236] Wed, 17 November 2021 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

It is included in McOptions (but for 21c Oct-21 latest update), with many add-on cases and updates that are not included in this script (which is seldom updated).

Another useful document for this subject is "Place Holder For Feature Usage Tracking Bugs (Doc ID 1309070.1)" but it seems to be no more updated.

Re: Scripts for Oracle LMS (Licence Management Services) audit [message #685855 is a reply to message #685232] Thu, 07 April 2022 04:40 Go to previous message
MrMBA
Only Oracle has the right to distribute Oracle LMS scripts. However, you can request them as an Oracle customer via support. Please note that running Oracle LMS scripts does not produce a compliance report. You would need someone with experience to analyse the scripts before it makes any sense to use them.

As for the SAM tools, they are basically approved by Oracle to have the capability to collect the necessary data needed for reporting in an audit - they do not issue the user a compliance report. It is not that they are bad, you just can't rely on a sam tool 100% when it comes to Oracle license compliance.

Oracle would take the data from the tool and then analyse it to produce a compliance report. In any situation, the Oracle audit team themselves are very much depending on information from questionnaires or 3rd party tools like RVtool for data on virtual environments.

Previous Topic: ASFU Licensing of Oracle EE
Next Topic: NUP Licenses for different environments and same employee
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:05:02 CDT 2024