Home » Other » General » Accessing Oracle DB from Windev Mobile app (Oracle DB 19C, Windows)
Accessing Oracle DB from Windev Mobile app [message #685462] Thu, 20 January 2022 04:03 Go to next message
Grundvardv
Hello everyone !

We have a software, which uses an ORACLE database (19C), and an Oracle Forms interface which runs on an Oracle Fusion Middleware server (12.2.1.4).
All this works on an internal network, but we want to develop mobile applications (for smartphones, tablets, ...) in order to add new
features to our software. For this, we have chosen to study the possibility of using WINDEV MOBILE.
On the other hand, we are beginners in the field of mobile applications, and we ask ourselves the question of the servers to be put in place to develop this solution.
In order to access the Oracle database from an application, for example on Android, what do we need? Oracle Database Mobile Server? The WINDEV WEBSERVICE program?
Both ?
Can anyone shed some light on this? Smile

Thank you !
Re: Accessing Oracle DB from Windev Mobile app [message #685463 is a reply to message #685462] Fri, 21 January 2022 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum.
Please read the OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read.

The developers I work with would probably say that you should expose the application to the internet as a web service. Or if all you need is SQL access to the database, use REST-enabled SQL:
https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-rest-data-services/21.3/aelig/rest-enabled-sql-service.html

Re: Accessing Oracle DB from Windev Mobile app [message #685464 is a reply to message #685463] Fri, 21 January 2022 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
This may be a long read, but very much worth the effort of reading them all (start with the linked one and read them in order of posting dates)
http://thehelsinkideclaration.blogspot.com/2009/03/helsinki-declaration-observation-1.html

In this, Toon explains the role of the database in applications, how to use it and how to prepare for the fact that in two years time you will move away from <whatever UI framework you choose now> to <the then hot UI framework>
Re: Accessing Oracle DB from Windev Mobile app [message #685465 is a reply to message #685464] Fri, 21 January 2022 09:58 Go to previous message
Grundvardv
Thank you very much for these answers! This has helped me to advance in my research, my understanding and my reflections Smile
I read the Helsinki Declaration, it was very interesting, thank you Frank !
Previous Topic: Autonomous Database (shared vs. dedicated)
Next Topic: Enterprise license
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:04:28 CDT 2024