Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ORA-12154 TNS:Could Not Resolve Service Name
ORA-12154 TNS:Could Not Resolve Service Name [message #65999] Wed, 17 January 2001 10:20 Go to next message
Rajanikanth
Hi,

I have installed oracle 8.1.5 on a solaris system. I am trying to use the RMAN Tool for backup and recovery. But i am not able to execute any of the RMAN commands.
All the Commands of RMAN return an error
"ORA-12154 TNS:Could not resolve Service Name"

Any help ....

Cheers
Rajani

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: ORA-12154 TNS:Could Not Resolve Service Name [message #66000 is a reply to message #65999] Tue, 20 February 2001 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan Ho
We are having the same problems over this end. Could you assist us in trying to resolve this problem?

Re: ORA-12154 TNS:Could Not Resolve Service Name [message #66001 is a reply to message #66000] Mon, 26 February 2001 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Renee A Walls
I'm getting the same error message, while trying to access Nat_RTR program. Any Ideas?

Re: ORA-12154 TNS:Could Not Resolve Service Name [message #66002 is a reply to message #65999] Thu, 29 March 2001 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Hi,

ORA-12154 - TNS:could not resolve service name

This error message occurs when a user attempts to logon to an Oracle database. It means that the Oracle communications software (SQL*Net or Net8) did not recognize the database connect descriptor. For GUI utilities, this is the name entered in the third field of the ORACLE logon box.

For a database connect descriptor to be recognized, it must be entered in a file called tnsnames.ora. Some users have their own copies of this file stored on their local hard disks. Others use a shared version kept on the Oracle Names Server.

To deal with an ORA-12154 error:

1. Verify that a TNSNAMES.ORA file exists and is in the proper place and accessible. See the operating system specific manual for details on the required name and location.

2. Check to see that the database name exists in one of the TNSNAMES.ORA files and add it if necessary.

3. Make sure thee are no syntax errors anywhere in the file. Particularly look for unmatched parentheses or stray characters. Any error in a TNSNAMES.ORA file makes it unusable. See the "Syntax Rules for Connect Descriptors" in the SQL*Net V2 Administrator's Guide.

Best regards
Frank

Re: ORA-12154 TNS:Could Not Resolve Service Name [message #66003 is a reply to message #65999] Fri, 30 March 2001 03:32 Go to previous message
steve chang
Thanks, Frank but I have checked all the above suggestions. It is not anything obvious. I have other setups that work. Perhaps this is an IIS issue and I am posting to the wrong newsgroup.

Previous Topic: Trouble with NAT
Next Topic: ORA 01034 Oracle Not Available
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 06:40:40 CDT 2024