Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Listener configuration for 2 databases
Listener configuration for 2 databases [message #66364] Thu, 02 May 2002 09:01 Go to next message
jialian
Hi,

We are having a problem with setting up the listener for two instances running on the same unix server.

Background info:
----------------
In our database, oracle software was installed by the default "oracle" user with the default sample database created (say sample9i). The files belong to the "oracle" user in "oinstall" group. The "oracle" user has a secondary group of "dba". Then, we manually created another database (say newdb) using another unix user (say "neworacle" with the "dba" group as the primary group).

Currently, our listener is set up as:
LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
)
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = myhost)(PORT = 1521))
)
)
)

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = /opt/oracle/orac901)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
(SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = newdb)
(SID_NAME = newdb)
)
(SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = sample9i)
(SID_NAME = sample9i)
)
)

Problems:
---------
When we start up the listener from the "oracle" user account, we can connect to sample9i database but when we change the ORACLE_SID=newdb and try to login through sqlplus with:
sqlplus user@newdb

We encountered an error:
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27121: unable to determine size of shared memory segment
SVR4 Error: 13: Permission denied

The strange thing is that "tnsping newdb" works.

When we start up the listener from the "neworacle" user account, we can connect to the newdb database but not to the sample9i database.

Questions:
----------
1. Are we setting up the listener correctly?
2. Do we need to set up 2 listeners? Do the 2 listeners have to be assigned to 2 different ports or can they use the same port?
3. Is there any permissions issues that we need to look into? Should we just set both "oracle" and "neworacle" to the same group?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jia Lian
Re: Listener configuration for 2 databases [message #66367 is a reply to message #66364] Thu, 02 May 2002 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Anker Corneliussen
remeber to checkout your /etc/oratab

<-------------------------------------
# sample oratab 4U
# ^SID:"$ORAHOME":[[Y&#124N]]
sample9i:/opt/oracle/orac901:Y
newdb:/opt/oracle/orac901:Y
<-------------------------------------

Remeber the case-sensitivity issue both
regarding sid and logical instance names
as well as [[Y&#124N]] in this configurationfile
Re: Listener configuration for 2 databases [message #66371 is a reply to message #66364] Fri, 03 May 2002 07:47 Go to previous message
Grant
I believe you have to have them both in the oinstall group as primary. Also make sure your Oracle executable has the correct privs. Your listener looks fine. You can have two listeners but it needs to work with one first. I always install with oracle and group dba. All DB's are created with oracle.
Previous Topic: ORA-03113 error while installing ORACLE 817 Personal Ed.
Next Topic: How to use sendmail from Solaris
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:33:06 CDT 2024