Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Multiple ADDRESS entries in TNSNAMES.ORA
Multiple ADDRESS entries in TNSNAMES.ORA [message #66558] Tue, 30 July 2002 12:52 Go to next message
David Hurt
From all the documentation I can find it seems I should be able to enter multiple addresses for the same service name and SQL*NET will automatically try them in order (possibly a random order but that's fine)

ie

oradb1 = (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = TCP_COMM)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = Machine01))
(ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = TCP_COMM)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = Machine02)))
(CONNECT_DATA=(
(SID=oradb1))))

I have a similar situation but I have a Win2000 laptop running Ora 8.1.6. On the road I will use the builtin ethernet port (fixed IP *.*.*.150), in the office the port in the docking station (fixed IP *.*.*.151). When a second machine is trying to connect to the db I would like it to try 150 first then 151 (or at least to try both in some order).

When I setup TNSNAMES.ORA as above it will try the first entry only and succeed or fail depending on which address is live at the time i.e. it does not try both addresses.

Any clues??

Thanks

Dave
Re: Multiple ADDRESS entries in TNSNAMES.ORA [message #66568 is a reply to message #66558] Sun, 04 August 2002 10:49 Go to previous message
K.SREENIVASAN
oradb1 = (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = TCP_COMM)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = Machine01))
(ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = TCP_COMM)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = Machine02)))
(CONNECT_DATA=(
(SID=oradb1))))

the net service name which give you in the tnsnames.ora file try to connect to the first machine .if it is fails,it will connect to the machine2.but you can not connect to the two machines at a time.if you are running parallel server,at that time it will be helpful for you.

otherwise it is meaningless.

k.sreenivasan

k.sreenivasan
Previous Topic: Re: Database is running but i get a ORA 1034 error !
Next Topic: Re: Could not start up TNSListener Service
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:32:23 CDT 2024