Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Creating File DSN with Microsoft ODBC for oracle problem
Creating File DSN with Microsoft ODBC for oracle problem [message #66682] Wed, 16 October 2002 19:54 Go to next message
Sahayam Packiaraj
I have created a Local net service name using Net8 assistant as "MMS" for a database "MMS" residing in a server machine named "Admin", the test was successful.

I try to create a file dsn using the microsoft odbc for oracle which promts for User,password and server.

In server iam little bit confused and use service name for it as "MMS" and it gives not verified.

Tried with server name "Admin" it still gives error, iam not able to find the server name exactly.

Please help me its urgent.

Thank You
Sahayam.J
Re: Creating File DSN with Microsoft ODBC for oracle problem [message #66683 is a reply to message #66682] Thu, 17 October 2002 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
look manually in your tnsnames.ora file.
sometimes, the tool automatically creates an extension to servericename.
try to tnpsping service_name

c:tnsping MMS
Re: Creating File DSN with Microsoft ODBC for oracle problem [message #66685 is a reply to message #66683] Fri, 18 October 2002 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
hi,

Thank you for your response.
I opened the tnsorna.ora file and able to find the service name in my office.

But in my client office this problem still persists, its giving service name as SM and the test was succesful.

when using the same name for server in file dsn creation it gives non verified file dsn.

guid me to also use tnsping which is not working for me..

Thank You,

Sahayam.J
Re: Creating File DSN with Microsoft ODBC for oracle problem [message #66738 is a reply to message #66682] Fri, 29 November 2002 00:07 Go to previous message
Kartik
Try.

c:TNSPING80 <Service Name>

in your case it is
c:TNSPING80 MMS
Previous Topic: oracle
Next Topic: Re: Can't Install 8i Client on Pentium 4 , NT 4 machine workaround
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 12:51:10 CDT 2024