Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » a problem happened when installing 8i on p3 Win2000 Server
a problem happened when installing 8i on p3 Win2000 Server [message #66770] Fri, 03 January 2003 15:05 Go to next message
Jessica
My machine is P3, with Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 2. I tried to install Oracle8.i.7 Release 3 on this machine.

First I tried to uninstall my Oracle8.i.7 Client part from the machine with Oracle deinstaller.
Then I went to Regedit, try to delete all entries/values having word of "oracle".
After that I started to install.

Everything looked okay. All files were copied. Then
"Configuration Tool" automatically started after
all files were copied. After that, I stuck in the first configuration: "Net8 Configuration Assistant". The last two lines showed in detail windows are:
" Running Listener Control:
E:oracleora81binlsnrctl start LISTENER
",

I checked Service. I have OracleOraHome81Agent, OracleOraHome81ClientCache,
OracleOraHome81DataGather, OracleOraHome81HttpServer, OracleOraHome81PagingServer,
OracleOraHome81TNSListener installed. And OracleOraHome81Agent,
OracleOraHome81DataGather, OracleOraHome81TNSListener started.

I waited for a long time, then I tried to stop "Net8 Configuration Assistant" on the universal installer
screen, but I got no reaction. I have to close the whole window to stop the process.

Then I tried to use "Database Configuration Assistant" to copy the database into my hard disk. I passed "Creating and starting Oracle instance" and "Copying database files" two steps. Then got the "Ora-12560: TNS: Protocol Adapter Error" message when "initializing Database" started . I went to see service, I saw OracleServiceMyHost has been started.
If I just ignore the message, the configuration will not go on. So I have to cancel it. After I canceled it, the configuration deleted all stuff it just did, the service OracleServiceMyHost would disappear from service window.

I uninstalled and installed on this same machine several times, I tried to log on under two different administrator users to see the result. But I always experienced same problem.

Can you give some ideas how to solve the problems?

Thanks a lot,
Re: a problem happened when installing 8i on p3 Win2000 Server [message #66773 is a reply to message #66770] Mon, 06 January 2003 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
first install the latest service packs for win 2000 (sp 3 or 3a??).
look for a file named sqlnet.ora
which should be available in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin.
if there is an entry like this, 
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS)
comment it out or remove it.
try to create a database using  DBCA NOW.

Re: a problem happened when installing 8i on p3 Win2000 Server [message #67498 is a reply to message #66770] Sat, 28 August 2004 05:56 Go to previous message
Roshan
problem in loging in to system error message
win2000 server service error starting
Previous Topic: ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out
Next Topic: Cannot Connect Sunsystems4 to Oracle 9i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 21:22:24 CDT 2024