Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Listener for a remote database
Listener for a remote database [message #66808] Mon, 20 January 2003 08:57 Go to next message
Dries
I hope this is the right board,, otherwise redirect me please.
I'll explain my problem first :
I have an nt network, only the server (nt4) has connection to the oracle database, the clients don't.
I need to be able to access the oracle server (via odbc) from the clients without altering anything in the network configuration.

I was thinking in the direction of :

setting up a net8 listener on the ntserver listening for incoming connections from the network, and getting the data from the remote database. Setting up odbc links to that listener on the clients in the network.
But : how do i set up a listener for a remote database? I always get a : TNS name not found error.

This is quite urgent...

Thnx, in advance
Re: Listener for a remote database [message #66871 is a reply to message #66808] Wed, 19 February 2003 06:26 Go to previous message
Satyanaryana reddy
Hi

If your client & server are resides on same machine y need not go for listener.If y want your client to connect to the remote server do follow the steps as follows

at client node

create TNS service name pointing to server machine,db service/instance port number and test it.

from client node tnsping -

hope this works out

Cheers
Previous Topic: Oracle Installation problem.
Next Topic: Oracle Instance Crashes Regularly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:52:39 CDT 2024