Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » TNS cannot resolve name
TNS cannot resolve name [message #67086] Thu, 18 September 2003 10:08 Go to next message
Eddie Tai
Hi,

It has been very interesting solving this problem. Installing Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition on a standalone W2K desktop without connecting to network. After installation of it, I was able to connect the local Oracle instance (testdb) using sqlplus without problem.

But when reboot the w2k desktop and connect the cable to the network, I was not able to connect the local Oracle instance (testdb) using sqlplus. It said TNS name cannot be resolve.

Without making any change, I unpluge the network cable and reboot my w2k, I was again able to use sqlplus to connect the local Oracle instance (testdb).

Could anyone help on this? Any idea what is going on?

Thanks in advance
Eddie Tai
Re: TNS cannot resolve name [message #67089 is a reply to message #67086] Thu, 18 September 2003 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ravi
Check that there are no conflicts in the host name, SID and port with any other having the same.
Re: TNS cannot resolve name [message #67090 is a reply to message #67089] Thu, 18 September 2003 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eddie Tai
The w2k desktop is using DHCP for assign IP address, the hostname of the w2k desktop is unique. I check the SID and port, no other is using the same.

Thanks
Re: TNS cannot resolve name [message #67091 is a reply to message #67090] Thu, 18 September 2003 11:44 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
if you have  local database (database in same machine as cleint) u NO NEED any tns entries.
if u intent to use,
set your host to LOCALHOST
in listener and tnsnames.ora files.
and note that, every cleint ( sqlplus,forms,reports) etc....installed in the same machine will have its own tnsnames.ora.
so, edit all tnsnames.ora files.

Previous Topic: dblink to Microsoft SQLServer
Next Topic: listener
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:24:47 CDT 2024