Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Problems with JDBC-Connection
Problems with JDBC-Connection [message #67093] Thu, 25 September 2003 01:43 Go to next message
Uwe
Hello all,

I've just one little question regarding JDBC instead of ODBC. We installed a Ora8.1.7.4 on HP/UX. The DB works fine, local connecting works. The Client-Side should connect vi JDBC. This gave an error, but the application does not give the Ora-Message.
Connection via ODBC from Client works also fine.
Client (W2k) has Oracle Client-Tools installed.
Do we need special JDBC-Tools on either client or server side for connect via JDBC?
Any hints welcome
rgds
Uwe
Re: Problems with JDBC-Connection [message #67094 is a reply to message #67093] Thu, 25 September 2003 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
depends on the type of cleints.
for THICK clients, You need an oracle client with tnsnames.ora and it uses the sql*net .
for Thin clients , NO ORACLE clients are necessary but the application must use JDBC THIN DRIVER ( something called classes12.zip or so, u can get it from oracle site, and is updated for every oracle release. so pick your JDBC thin driver delivered for the particular oracle release).

Re: Problems with JDBC-Connection [message #67095 is a reply to message #67094] Thu, 25 September 2003 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uwe
Hi Mahesh,

thanks, but we tried both. first we started an installation of Oracle Client on that so called Client (it is an W2K-Server). After changing the tnsnames I could connect via ODBC and SQL-Plus but the connect via JDBC failed.
Today we suggest to install Oracle JDBC but the result is the same.
Do we need to reserve a port on our webserver eg. Tomcat for connection ?
rgds
Uwe
Re: Problems with JDBC-Connection [message #67096 is a reply to message #67095] Thu, 25 September 2003 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
there is something wrong the your JDBC connections.
please post the error message.
we across many platforms have many oracle versions have different clients ( thick like perl, thin JDBC for JAVA etc).
Re: Problems with JDBC-Connection [message #67097 is a reply to message #67096] Thu, 25 September 2003 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uwe
So far I can see this connection wont reach the DB. I got no negative try inside the alert.log.
The message comes is from a Novell-One Tool, so we can't see an Oracle or SQL Code.
Re: Problems with JDBC-Connection [message #67302 is a reply to message #67093] Thu, 15 April 2004 08:56 Go to previous message
anurag vidyarthi
I am also facing the same problem my connectivity thru
JDBC-ODBC interface works fine but I can not connect
with Non-ODBC ways.

I have used the JDBC Test Tool but it also provide the connectivity thru JDBC-ODBC bridge.

Pl. help me.I have placed all the required jar files like classes111.zip,translator.zip,runtime12ee.zip etc
but nothing works.

Any Idea.

thanx in advance
anurag
Previous Topic: ORA-010354 - Oracle Not Available
Next Topic: Remote DB Connection error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 11:15:00 CDT 2024