Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » data conversion
data conversion [message #70881] Wed, 07 August 2002 01:30 Go to next message
Sanjoy Bose
Pls help me to convert existing data & tables from Ms-Access to Oracle 8i. I m getting probs to update a software which previous platform was Ms-Access, now my client wish to update his software by oracle platform, without loosing his existing records(data). How can I solve this? I can export a table from access to oracle bt problem is in sql environment I can see my table from table list but when I wish to see description it answers "no table description found". Pls help me out of this crising.
Re: data conversion [message #70882 is a reply to message #70881] Wed, 07 August 2002 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
try oracle migration workbench.
or do it manually using sql*loader
Re: data conversion [message #70890 is a reply to message #70881] Thu, 08 August 2002 03:48 Go to previous message
sunil bhola
Importing to Access from Oracle

Open Access => Blank Database => Save it => File => Get External Data => Import => Choose ODBC Database from the FILE OF TYPE => It will ask for DSN NAME =>click on New => Oracle ODBC Drivers=>Type the name i.e. Sunil =>type user name in User name box =>Ok => Select the DSN Name i.e. Sunil=>ok=> type the password in Password box=>Ok =>it will display all the tables of the selected user name=>select table according to requirement=> ok=>it will import into the Access

Importing from Access to Oracle

Create a Blank table in Access frist if not exists=>File => Save as/Export => select “TO AN EXTERNAL FILE OR DATABASE => select ODBC Database from SAVE AS TYPE => Type the new name of table if you want to do so => ok => select the DSN i.e. SUNIL from the box => ok => enter the PASSWORD of user =>ok

Open ORACLE & logon to the user i.e The user who’s name is type in the DSN and get all the tables by executing the following

Select table_name from user_tables;

In Oracle the table name will be case senstive so type the table name in quotas

i.e. select *from “Table1”;

the error that you are talking about "no table description found" is display because when you import from access to oracle(GREAT ORACLE) the tables get change to case senstive.

So type the table name in quotes i.e.
select * from "Sunil"
Previous Topic: sqlldr and timing
Next Topic: JDBC Thin Client character conversion problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 23:19:24 CDT 2024